Advice on importing with small startup investment

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by lem25, May 24, 2016.

1. lem25

lem25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there,

I feel like I have finally found a business idea I’m very keen on pursuing. It involves starting an online boutique (clothing & accessories) but I have a fairly unique selling point. My intentions are to stock carefully selected items which I hoped to import, and hopefully have a few select custom pieces branded as my own range.

I have never imported to resell before so I was very keen to get samples before ordering. I want to check quality and if OK photograph to draft up the website/ marketing material. From china even if the samples are cheap they seem to want $20+ dollars for each very small item (underwear etc). If I want a whole range of products (enough to start selling) samples alone will cost a fortune and I don’t have big money to put into the business. It took me by surprise as shipping costs from china via Ebay are actually usually very cheap. Is this something you just have to accept with sites like Alibaba, or can you get cheaper prices on Alibaba by insisting on Chinese airmail etc (slow delivery time isn’t an issue right now for samples).

Can you offer any advice? Are there other things I should know about importing as an absolute beginner? Are there affordable ways of stocking a wide range of products in lower quantities without drop shipping? It might be that I need to make money off one or two products to reinvest before actually starting a boutique – I might be trying to do too much too soon.

Sorry for the essay!! P.S I am UK based.

2. prathap

prathap
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there ,

I am sorry if my reply is wrong . just wanted to help you out .

now straight away coming to point . if you are planning to buy things on line and sell it in you shop i really feel its not gone work. since people this days are to much in to on line shopping . but yhe if you are planning to buy it in bulk for very cheep i mean cheaper then the amount specified, and sell it in a cheaper rate this might work , and yhe Alibaba is a cheep wholesaler site . i feel the best method is if you have your friends there in china then ask them to courier the product . but yhe the courier charges might be high

3. LauraSh

LauraSh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most people have their heads in the clouds. 99,9% ideas will not make a profit (looks like yours, sorry). The problem is we are too lazy to study market/do research or just too greedy. If you have $1K, invest money in somebody's project. A person/company, who is more experienced. It will make profit and let you learn some basics. For example, if you have $20K, don't buy a high risky hovel in Detroit. Invest your savings in an investment property fund. There are a lot of funds that are worth trusting. This article https://tranio.com/traniopedia/tips/what_is_a_real_estate_investment_fund_and_is_it_a_good_option/ highlights how a fund operates, check it, may be this option would be suitable for you

• Like Like x 1