Advice on how to find a businesses information

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by MagicCookie, Jul 28, 2011.

1. MagicCookie

MagicCookie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey,

Great site thanks for letting me join,

Well this is my first post. Not sure if I'm in the correct location.

A company in Canada is using the same name as we are, this is not a problem. But they are now trading in the US where we are based.

So we can sue them as they are trading using our exact name now that they have entered the states.

But I need to find out exactly when they first started to trade in the US under our company name. They would have registered their name in the US to be able to trade but how can I find out when they did?

They are a company based in Canada

Any advice would be great thanks

God bless

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum MagicCookie, thanks for joining. Do you have a trademark for the name in question? Is the other company which is using that name selling a similar product or service to you? Or are they in a completely different business?

3. MagicCookie

MagicCookie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Company name is trademarked here in the US to us. And yes they are selling similar products as us.

I just need to find out the exact date they registered to trade in the US.

Is their a website or other mean in which to find out?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

MagicCookie it would be worth doing a search for that trademark at US Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS). I'm not based in the US so am not familiar with how to find the registration date of a business based there, however I think that perhaps the website of your local Secretary of State would be a good place to start, as they sometimes have a facility to search company registrations in the relevant state.

Something else I would suggest is that you contact the legal professional who helped you with the initial registration of your trademark (assuming that you did use a legal professional). Ask him / her how you can protect the trademark that they helped you to register.