Advice on getting promoted to VP?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by dannyesenia, Aug 26, 2009.

1. dannyesenia

dannyesenia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am a director level executive for a large US based company. I work in the corporate office and have been with this company for 6 years. I am in a quandary as my review date is upon me again. I have eluded to my desire to be promoted in past reviews, but it is really bugging me now. I am personally responsible for 35% of my company's total production, have delivered double digit growth the last 3 years (going to turn in 14% this year, needless to say that is quite an accomplishment in today's world) I do my job, think I am well liked, I've been told I have a great career ahead of me with XXXX company, but it is frustrating to see other VP's and Director's around me that aren't delivering nearly at the level that I am. Granted, I haven't been around as long as the other VP's and I am on the younger side. (youngest director in company history) I just cant help to wonder if they don't want to make me a VP because of my age. I certainly have plenty to learn and always will, but doesn't everyone does, regardless of how long they've been doing something. I also think what is coming into play is the fact that they don't need to promote me. The last 2 years I've been given 4,000 shares of stock that I cant exercise for 3 years from issue date, this alone keep me hostage. Also, I have to figure that the economy has something to do with it, they know times are tough and I'm not going anywhere, so why promote me and pay me that much more unnecessary money.

Bottom line is that I really enjoy my company and what I do, and I don't want to come across as if I'm owed anything, but I do take it a little personal and take a lot of pride in what I do and I think I do it well. I also don't want to seem impatient, my time will come, but the bottom line is that I am responsible for more revenue and production than ANY VP or Director in my company (fact) other than Sr VP's and its a little frustrating to feel like I deserve something and I'm not getting it.

So the question is how, if at all should I bring it up during my review. I have always been honest with my boss, almost to a fault, and I've never pulled punches, I want him to know how I fell without seeming like I'm whining...any thoughts?

Thanks

2. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My advise to you would be when your review comes up, to explain to your boss the figures that you have brought the company forth. It seems like you are doing an excellent job within your company, and I'm sure they aren't overlooking it. Yet, you got to show them you want it. Tell him you were hoping for another promotion sometime in the near future, that way it doesn't seem like you're asking for one now. Also, when the time comes when you're asking for this, make sure you have documentation of all that you've been doing for the company. I wouldn't exactly explain to him how you're doing better than all the other VP's at this point though.

Just wondering, how many VP's does your company currently have? Including Senior VP's? Let us know and maybe it will be easier for us to determine something.

None the less, make sure you keep in mind to just keep pushing forward and doing your best. It sounds like you've done quite a bit of hard work, and that is what you'll need to continue doing whether you get the promotion at this point in time or not. Try not to dwell on the facts too much, as this might bring your overall morale down towards your company and could possibly even effect your own statistics.

3. dannyesenia

dannyesenia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are 12 directors and 8 VP's.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi dannyesenia, welcome to Business Advice Forum and thanks for posting your question.

I'd agree with the useful advice you received from JBMedia. It's important to remind senior management of the key achievements you've recently had in the organisation. I also wouldn't be in a rush to start comparing yourself with the other managers at your level. Senior management will be well capable of doing that themselves.

JBMedia's suggestion, that you tell them you would like the promotion at some stage in the future, is also a good one. Most companies will be watching their costs very closely at the moment and they will not be too keen to increase their human resource costs. Unfortunately for you, the downturn in the economy has also resulted in a lot of good people being available for employment, at lower salaries than say two or three years ago. The other side of the coin however, is that companies facing a crisis will not want to lose good people who have a strong knowledge of the company and can make a positive contribution as it moves forward.

It would also be a good idea to go to the review meeting with some questions prepared, regarding how they feel about your performance. This will avoid you having to bring up achievements that they are already aware of and allow you to focus on the ones that they may not fully appreciate.

You could then ask them if the company is planning to promote VPs in the near future. This will help to open up the discussion gently.

Congratulations on your achievements to date and good luck with everything. Please keep us posted on your thoughts and let us know how the review goes.

(Threads Merged)

5. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Being confident and creative on the terms will surely help you. The courage to tell them and the contribution you've given to the company will hit things up.

6. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is this really what you want? To be promoted to that position? Better ask yourself if that is truly what you really want. Try and analyze also what possible changes (both good and bad) would that promotion introduce into your life. With greater power comes greater responsibilities (and greater stress), so they say.

If your answer is yes, then maybe you can try also to pitch to your higher ups that you'd be willing to accept more responsibilities and add more KRAs (key result areas) to your job if they should give you the position you want.

Good luck. I wish you the best in this endeavor of yours.

7. bassamy

bassamy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At the outset I wish you good luck and I think you ought to do everything in your effort and review the personal skills in your work and prove you're the best

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Did none of the recent responders look at the date of this thread? It's almost a year old. I doubt he'll be back for the advice, especially since he only made two posts and both are in this thread. It would be great if you could direct your energies to recent threads where the help will be more appreciated.