Advice on a new book shop business idea!

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by Dyson Miles, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Dyson Miles

Dyson Miles
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sep 8, 2010
    I have an idea for a business - I'd like to start up a bookshop selling new and antique books, trading online and in shop form.

Unfortunately, years of living just below the poverty line have left me with a bad personal credit rating (CCJ, defaults etc). My partner and I are both employed but on very low wages (him minimum wage, me £7 an hour). We have no savings or assets to invest, family are unwilling/unable to help.
    and because of our credit rating, no high street bank would touch us with a barge pole.

I live in an area of the UK with high unemployment and I've heard about renewal grants for such areas.

Is there any help offered by the Government (ie not taking into account a bad credit history or lack of capital)? do they offer any help to people like us?

I just want a better life for my family and my son as as it seems we can't get this through working for others I want to try working for myself.

Please help!!!
  2. Fergal

uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Hi Dyson, thanks for asking your business questions.

One step you should take is speaking to your local National Enterprise Agency, you can find your nearest office on the bottom right of this website They should be able to advise you of sources of funding that might be available to you.

Do you have any experience of book retailing or the book selling business?

What is the existing competition like in your area? Are there existing book shops? If so, how would you compete with them?

Have you thought about who your potential customers would be and how you can give them something of value over and above what they are getting at the moment?

You could start the business on a part time basis, such as selling at car boot sales and market stalls. Is that something that could work for you?

Good luck with it! Please give us a little more info and we will do our best to help you.