Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by marcusipp, Jul 10, 2008.

1. marcusipp

marcusipp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is my 1st post so please be patient if I am asking a question not meant for this forum. What I am hoping for is to get some advice as to where I should 'go from here'. At 36 I am a Director of Business Development managing a team of 6 in the NY/NJ area. My salary is just under $100K and I have not rec'd any bonus' yet as I have only been at the company for 4 months. After starting here, I discovered that much of the picture painted about the job/company was not true. Within 2 months, people who had been there 7/8 years were let go. The owner yells and screams at people (I have gotten it a few times already) - he is an egotistical, self absorbed know it all who has yelled to a table of managers "I can do all your jobs, every one of you, this is my company and you'll do it my way or you can get out" - in the same tirade he also screamed "I want to make $2M dollars this year and you all better make sure I do".
    This was not an isolated moment as I have heard this at least 8 or 9 times since I have been there. He is bi-polar and manic and the company literally ebbs and flows with his moods. Some days I feel like a star, other days he will say something that makes me feel like my job is about to be lost.
    I don't want to go on too long about the situation but the overall picture is that much of what was said about the job, culture, expectations are opposite the reality. That brings me to my situation. I have been looking for other jobs for about 2 months and what I have found is a startup looking to bring someone on who will help develop the company and after 6-9 months sign on as a shareholder/partner and eventually build the sales & marketing department. The base is $25K less than where I am at now but he is willing to give me 40% of gross margin. It is IT managed services, staff augmentation, system/network design, consulting, etc. The upside potential is there but the immediate money is less than where I am at. I have about $30K in savings and just refinanced my home so that's all I have for now. If I took the job we would be 'living lean' and my budget would be break even.
    One related piece of info is that when it comes to BizDev/Sales/Mktg - I am good. I can make things happen and get the pipeline filled up pretty quick.
    OK, all that said - any advice???

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Marcus and welcome to Business Advice Forum.

Personally I'd join the start-up, but only after looking at all other options and being sure that the start-up is the best one available.

It sounds like your current boss is extremely difficult to work for and that you risk losing your job if you stay. If he has fired people that have been with him for a few years, he won't have too many reservations about firing you.

Plus if you stay at your current job it will eventually wear you down and make you unhappy. This will have a negative impact on your performance in the job, which could in turn get you fired. Your boss' attitude is like a self fulfilling prophecy. He is unhappy with his workers, which eventually impacts on their performance which then gives your boss reason to be unhappy with them.

Life is too short to spend it working in a job that makes you unhappy.

If the job with the start-up inspires and challenges you this should open up exciting opportunities and experiences for you.

Obviously we can't know every detail of your current situation and we are not qualified professionals in this field, so you need to be careful that you only take the advice you get on this forum as an opinion.

Good luck with resolving this situation and please keep us updated as to how it works out for you.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the Business Advice Forum Marcus.

This is a very good advice given by Fergal and I also have to agree with him. In a research done, the number 1 reason why people quit their jobs is not because of the pay but it's because of a bad working environment. No one wants to stay on in a company where you practically have to drag yourself to work every morning.

As for the startup company, I would suggest that you do a thorough research first on the company and not just get your information from the interview or just from one person. You can also try talking with their staffs and partners and you can glean so much about the company by doing this. You will immediately be able to know if they're happy working there by just listening to them and looking at their body movements.

As Fergal has also said, you also shouldn't limit your job search but still keep on the lookout for more better opportunities. I would also suggest for you not to resign immediately, at least not until you're already sure of joining another company - hopefully a better one.

4. uaguilar

uaguilar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Marcus,

Look for more options, however, between the two you have now, definitely go with the startup.

Uni

5. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Marcus. I do feel this same situation before. I am just an ordinary employee in my company before. I was there for almost 4 years. I don't like the way my supervisor handles us. She doesn't walk what she talks. She doesn't even know our work where she herself must know to properly teach us. This is where my problem started. I just observe her for almost 2 years (that's long!). I did not see any improvement and so I decided to resign even if I do not have a big amount of savings and do not have a work to go to. I'm not happy anymore and I am very much exhausted.

Now, I am very happy with my decision. I am free. Every now and then, my ex-officemates update me and they told me the same problem as before. I never could imagine my life if I am still working in that company.

Marcus, I understand it is a risky to start up with another work and with salary less than what you have right now. But I think it is better to have a new company and a new kind boss who will not torture you that way. Salary will increase if you will show them how good you are.