Advice needed on Website

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by Davidj, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Davidj

Davidj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello all,

Do any of you have any advice on how to make my website more customer friendly? I've read the website rules and believe it's ok to post my link in here. It's itsonline.weebly.com. I"m working on the official qualifications now, but I was wondering how I could improve it to make it more personal. Sometimes as the website designer, I don't see it from the viewpoint of the customer.

kind regards,

DavidJ

#1 Davidj, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2012
  2. driansmith

driansmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Just tried your web address but seems incorrect?

3. Davidj

Davidj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ah, my fault :{, it's, itsonline.weebly.com

You'll have to remove the . at the end. I keep forgetting about the full stop.

4. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The site looks good to me so far, how do you mean more customer friendly?

5. Davidj

Davidj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ah, I see what you mean. Thank you for bringing that unmentioned aspect to my attention. I just edited the website so it now clearly states that I'll provide a friendly, personal customer service.

Thanks much :}

DavidJ

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

david, I've added a link to your site in your first post, to help make it easier for our members to find it. I hope that's OK?

The first thing that I would suggest your site needs is its own domain name. That will make it appear more professional and it will be easier for your potential customers to find and remember your site name.

Overall I do like the appearance of your site and wish you the very best of luck with it.

7. driansmith

driansmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

To add to that point, you need to build your own credibility with the search engines, not build up the credibility of the domain weebly. com which is what you are doing at the moment.
    Buy your own domain - irish-english.co.uk and irish-english.com both seem to be available
    But there are a multitude of options available.
    If you are at all serious about your business venture - get your own domain now.

8. VeritasCustom

VeritasCustom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi David,
    Very cool services!!! I'm Irish my self so I can appreciate it on a personal level. I would also highly suggest spending the $10 on a domain name. If you do any search engine optimization (which wouldn't take much for your niche) you'll want to back-link to a web address that's permanent (and professional). I would also say you need some more content on your site, but you're off to a great start!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Like VeritasCustom and the others, I would recommend you get your own domain name, rather than using a sub-domain of the hosting provider. Rather than say "if you do any search engine optimization", however, I would say "when", not because we provide that service, but because the search engines are still an important factor when promoting a site. With the increasing influence of social media, I would also suggest getting a Facebook page, which would allow you not only to promote your website, but also to target followers who have an interest in Irish-English translation, and they could also spread the word to their friends, who spread the word to their friends, etc.
    Getting back to the domain namre, like driansmith suggested, I would also suggest getting a domain name that is more easily related to your service. Very few people would realize that the "its" in itsonline" means "irish translation services".

You say you want to make the website more customer friendly, but the content on the homepage is still all about you. In addition to what you have, make it more about how you can help them achieve their goals. I also wonder why you have links to weebly on your site. you should be using phrases related to your business, not encouraging people to leave your site.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ChrisLeads

ChrisLeads
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Simple and clean site. Add Attractive graphics.

11. Davidj

Davidj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the help folks :}. It's appreciated. I'll start making changes to the homepage right away. As for the domain, I"m testing to see if this service is a worthwhile market. I believe it is, but I suppose I'm taking baby steps.

12. driansmith

driansmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You cannot test the market effectively while sticking with a sub-domain. You are 'testing the market' with one arm behind your back. Cheap providers can give you hosting/domain for as little as £50. We charge £100.
    Go for it!

13. StewardHill

StewardHill
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Overall it's nice and clean website. However as it is it's strongest weapon, it makes it weak at the same time. Probably it's too simple, which makes it ... depressing in my point of view.

14. Davidj

Davidj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree. I think I'm starting to find the balance between simple and complex.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I actually think simplicity is a positive thing, the Google home page is just about as simple a site as you can get. Simplicity means that it is easy for your visitors to understand what you are offering and how your site can benefit them.

The new site header image of the dictionary is great and very apt for the service you provide.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I agree with Fergal that simplicity is best, but I do have one suggestion. Your Homepage looks more like an FAQ page. Your homepage should describe the service you provide, along with a few examples of the types of people or businesses that can use your services, in a paragraph or two. The "FAQ" page should be a separate page within the website.

The dictionary at the top of the page is a nice touch.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Davidj

Davidj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I updated the website. I like it better :}.

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It looks good David. It might be worth spending some time and thought on your slogan. I'm not sure that the one you are currently using communicates clearly what your site is about. "Bringing the Prosperity of the Irish Language to you!" suggests to me that your site is about promoting the Irish language rather than providing translation services. Just something to think about, obviously I could be wrong.

19. Davidj

Davidj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good point! I'll think on how to improve it.

thanks again,

David

20. MICHAEL LINDMARK

MICHAEL LINDMARK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I very much appreciate your site. It is really good.