ADVICE NEEDED: Job architecture/job path/career growth-What would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by intern101, Jun 9, 2015.

1. intern101

intern101
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Everyone!

I am working on a small project as an intern and would love any information on Job Architecture and Career Development. My role is to find the best way to get our job description data to our managers so they know how to help their employees with Career Planning and Career Development.

Currently we are running an intranet that has a massive amount of small-font data that managers would have to sort through. I am attempting to find the best ways to display this information so it is quickly and easily accessible.

As a manager (anyone directing people/employees), what would you like to see? Structure, online vs. manuals, mobile ability, charts, diagrams, lists, print-outs, etc? Any thoughts welcomed and appreciated!!

Thanks!
    From the growing intern.

2. jnash214

jnash214
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, I have encountered a similar situation in the past and it can be challenging to find the right solution. I manage a team of project managers and keeping up with everyones development plan and career path is almost impossible without a robust system. My personal opinion is this is best managed through a talent management system. I have used a few types in the past and most were custom developed by a software company for our specific needs. I would recommend trying JacobAlan Solutions http://www.jacobalansolutions.com. JacobAlan has a few standard business management modules and could custom develop a talent management system that is tailored to your business needs.

Regardless the path that you choose, my personal recommendation is to focus on the following when doing this....
    - Individual Development Plans for Each Employee
    - In Development Plans address each employees Strengths/Weaknesses, Motivational Factors, Perceptions, Goals, and the Companies Goals for them. Once each of these are defined, work to establish gaps that may create barries for the employee in the future.
    - Develop training plans for the employee that aligns with the gaps listed above. Goal is to improve any defiencies, which may limit the employee in the future.