Advice for Simple Shopping Cart?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by igendreau, Mar 26, 2010.

1. igendreau

igendreau
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I need to build a site, and it needs a shopping cart. I've done some work with Zen Cart, but most of my work is straight HTML and CSS. The site needs to look really sharp, so I need to be able to drop my Photoshoped site into a website format which is super easy if you're building on a blank canvas, but a lot more involved if you're trying to customize a Zen Cart or osCommerce template.

Is there any simple shopping cart software I can integrate into the body of my page? I know there is Paypal which can do that. But is there anyone who does that who can link to an online merchant account? He uses Flagship Merchant Services.

If I need to use a full blown ecommerce platform I will, but the site I am building is meant to sell 1 line item. That's it. Was hoping not to go through the hassle of Zen Cart for just that one item. Thanks

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi igendreau, welcome to Business Advice Forum, thanks for joining and posting your business questions.

These two threads might help you;

Online Store Recommendations?
    How much for a great E-Commerce?

Please have a look through them and then post back here with any ideas or further questions you have.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I choose to use paypal for payments only because it's easier for what I do and I use it with nanacast when I have to for shopping cart type payments. You can set nanacast to work with a merchant account. It's a paid subscription service so might be out of the league depending on product and cost at this point.

I know there are people using 1shoppingcart but that's the best I can do I'm afraid.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Nanacast looks like an interesting service, do you use them to sell ebooks?

5. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

I haven't - only because my e-books would usually be a free giveaway magnet to build a targeted list - but you can.

The great things with Nanacast are you can use it for everything so when you turn your ebook into a podcast you may charge for the ebook and throw in the podcast for a small fee.

Where relevant you can add upsells and downsells easily.

You can decide to allow others to sign up as affiliates through nanacast to sell your product for you - you set the commission structure.

I have only really used it for a membership site so far but products are on their way!

6. rohan

rohan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well, you need to consider the kind products and the number of products. what are your products anyways?
    I opt for carts that are easy to customize and modify like Shopping Cart Elite,

7. Mailware

Mailware
    uix_expand uix_collapse

OS Commerce and X-Cart are excellent carts, however requires an extensive amount of customization to get going with it imo. I personally really like Magento (as its free) and out of the box makes for a very nice web cart. If you need more support and have a reasonable budget I would also checkout Volusion. We have worked with a number of these carts and they all have their pros and cons. Here is an easy to use web cart comparison page thats updated constantly and pretty accurate it should definitly help you pick a cart: Picking e-commerce software / webcart Selection Guide

If you are not particularly tech savvy and have some sort of budget I would suggest a hosted cart (Volusion,CS-Cart,Shopify etc.)
    If you are tech savvy,are comfortable setting up a website yourself and looking for something free I would use a self hosted solution (Magento, ZenCart etc.)

Let us know if theres anything else we can do to help.

-Mailware

8. habeebraja

habeebraja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suggest you to use paypal and cc-avenue for the shopping cart option.It is very user friendly and very easy to use.
    most of the company are using the same.It is secure also.
    If you need some more information on that you can go to Google there you will get lots of information.

9. sandry

sandry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You obviously need a cart and I would usually recommend to online users to select those that are web-hosted shopping carts as it will save them the hassle of having to find a hosting company to host their store. What you need is convenience and the fastest way to set up your online store. Do your research to choose a suitable ecommerce shopping cart that you are comfortable with. The bulk of them all come with free trial periods so make full use of this time frame to get the hang of the software and how it works. They will also come with a range of free templates for you to choose from which is pretty simple.

10. aubreya94

aubreya94
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use it with nanacast when I have to for shopping cart type payments. You can set nanacast to work with a merchant account.

11. steevemartin1

steevemartin1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice information about shopping carts setup.I also used some thing like that on my store and it did not work but again i rebuilt my site in joomla and virtue mart combination.Then it works well.

12. eBiz

eBiz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Anything but.

Need to focus on the very subject of security.

13. steevemartin1

steevemartin1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Need to focus on the very subject of security. I do not understand what do you want to say here.Please explain

14. eBiz

eBiz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I mean the Shopping Cart will be followed by a payment system.

If security is not good enough to do shoppint cart may not be useful.

15. jonalexa

jonalexa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am using paypal merchant account, which is just good option for online shopping cart.

16. ChrisDouthit

ChrisDouthit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want an easy to use shopping cart consider PayGear.com. You just have to link your processor being paypal or credit card system, then copy and paste the buttons anywhere you want on your website. It looks professional and it is very easy.

17. memoonamike

memoonamike
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most people use paypal account so I think paypal is best.

18. shafim

shafim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Paypal is cool for individual items. If your visitors are going to buy multiple things in a visit, I really like google wallet. It is easy to set up, you can take the code and make the changes as necessary for all of your products (so you don't have to keep recreating a cart button link) and I think their cart looks cool. It shows up in the upper right hand corner and you can expand it to see what you are buying on the same screen you are buying from- rather than redirecting to a new page to view cart.