Advice for Negotiating a Raise/Promotion

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Marisa Casey, May 14, 2013.

1. Marisa Casey

Marisa Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I could use a little pep talk and any tips or advice any of you have to offer!

In short: I'm an office manager making $40K/yr in the Phoenix area and my first annual review will be in the next week or so. The President of the company fancies me to be his executive support person, which I am happy to be as long as the promotion does not include changing my title from manager to assistant. I will be continuing most of my existing office managerial duties (all company travel, conference logistics, supplies, maintenance, etc...) plus taking on most of the president's calendar management, email and phone fielding, some marketing and promotional items, and spearheading the logistics of our upcoming office expansion (scheduling demolition and reconstruction, ordering new furniture, spacial planning, and liaising with all involved vendors.)

I need feedback primarily regarding the amount of money I should be asking for. I've done some varied research in terms of job descriptions that fit my duties, and the salaries attached to them. I've come up with a range of $44k - $81K and I want to be realistic and fair without undercutting myself. Is $58K too much to ask for if I pitch it in terms of:
    A.) A monthly bonuses based on overall sales since I am not eligible for a commission
    B.) The fact that since I did not negotiate for a higher salary from the start, the company has been essentially getting a discount for the last 12 months
    C.) This is more of a promotion with an applicable salary adjustment than it is a raise
    D.) Another individual in the company to whom I consider myself at least equal is making the salary that I am asking

I know that I am worth the amount I am asking for, as it is a salary I once made but had to walk away from to follow my spouse's career to another state. I respect my boss immensely and do not want to come across as ridiculous. I'm not afraid to put myself out there and take a risk as long as I will be taken seriously. Shoot for the stars and you might land on the moon, right? Please help me attempt to justify such a huge leap.

Thanks in advance!

2. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You may ask your boss that according to your work and your capabilities,eligibilty and experience of work,along with the time which you have given to the company,how much he will pay for you.ask him not order.give your positive versions to him,about your qualities,your leadership abilities,your perfomance,the profit which you made to the company,show your graphs to him first,ask him and then go for negotiation if he is not giving you upto the mark which you wanted.be polite and be safe at your words:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Marisa Casey

Marisa Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks AnushaJain! I will apply your suggestions and I am grateful for your advice.

I have been researching the median salaries for positions similar to the one I will be taking on. I will be discussing my hopes, goals and expectations with my boss tomorrow, then he will bring the information I give him to his boss to review and make a decision. I respect my boss too much to demand anything so ultimately, all I can do is ask. I just want to make sure that what I am asking is not completely unrealistic and that I am being fair to my boss and to myself. I am hopeful that they will look at this as a totally different position for me in the company and base my salary on the market value of the position, rather than look at it as an enormous pay raise.

Fingers crossed!