Advice for going to Asia

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Greetings, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Greetings

Greetings
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have 5 years of engineering experience in petrochemical/energy industry international wise, due to the nature of my work, I see there is a huge potential in Asia with many opportunities. To take advantage on this, I plan to come back to Asia and study a quantitative-based master degree in finance, afterward, hopefully, I can land myself a finance job in those big engineering firms. (Oil and gas companies perhaps I-bank or other financial institutions if possible) Below is my questions that I need advice. I am bilingual in Chinese

Will I able to get a job in Asia? And with it pay back my master degree?

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Greetings and welcome to Business Advice Forum. :) Have you researched the career opportunities there with the companies you'd like to work for? You may find they have a program you could apply for where they pay your tuition costs.

The Riley Guide has a list of resources and job sites related to International Job Opportunities, including in Asia. It may give you an idea on what's out there at the moment. By the time you get your degree and start looking though, things could of course be very different. I'd use that list to find companies and look at their careers pages on their own sites.

3. Greetings

Greetings
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you very much Kay! I did research for the career opportunities in those company that I am looking for, but I got no luck due to the reason that whatever I am doing right now, is very technical and specific, so there is not much opening in Asia area for this kind of position, even they do, they are either looking for super senior level or the technical position but in the financial side, and that is why I am studying my master degree to prepare myself for the later case.

Going back to Asia area is a pretty risky move for me, since I have left Asia for so many years already, and I will be starting everything over again when I go back, so I want to get as much as advices.

By the way the link that you provide is very useful! Thanks

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're very welcome. And I think it's wonderful that you're thinking so far ahead! I can barely plan what's for dinner LOL. :)

You couldn't get the same kind of job you're seeking where you are for a few years and get that experience under your belt first, and then look to Asia, could you? Since you're planning so far ahead a year or two getting after your course is finished could be well worth your while. You'll have a proven track record then.

What country are you in at the moment btw? You didn't say.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Greetings, thanks for joining. Why do you wish to move to Asia, you mention career opportunities, is your career the sole reason for the move or do you have other reasons for wanting to live in Asia?

6. fzqeric

fzqeric
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, This is shirley from China, maybe I can help you, if you need my service, please contact

#6 fzqeric, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010
  7. Greetings

Greetings
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Kay,

CA, same country as you. Well, actually, it is not that far away because I have to apply school soon for 2011-2012 class. I have this idea been floating around in my head and been doing research since last year's X'mas time, so right now is kinda at the final stage of my plan before the execution. I would like to get some advices from those expats who is already living in Asia such as Shirley = ) Start building up my connection already! By the way which state you are in?

Fergal,

I will say 50 50, 50% better opportunities, another 50% for life style change.

fzqeric,

Do you mind if we talk via e mail?

8. sandie_nicole

sandie_nicole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you decide which among the beautiful country in Asia you plan to continue your business? I think Japan would be a great choice.

9. Greetings

Greetings
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hong Kong will be my first stepping stone, and which city afterward I donno