Advertising a web hosting company

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Preemo, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey,

How would I go about advertising a web hosting company? Although I'm very experienced at the support side and web hosting side, I'm unfortunately not at marketing a company.

All advice is appreciated.
    Ryan

2. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why don't you start by running some small text link ads or banners (maybe here on BAF) on related websites - webmaster forums or such.

3. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not a bad idea. I'm going to try my luck down my local town soon, I'm thinking about creating flyers and putting them in local businesses post boxes, and if they don't have a host, they hooray! If not, then I've not really lost anything!

4. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not a bad idea either. Or you could contact them via email?

5. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suppose I could, from your viewpoint, wouldn't you be a bit annoyed if a hosting company contacted you directly? To me it'd seem like spam?

6. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From my point of view it is the same as flyers in an inbox. Though others may feel differently about this.

Maybe you could start with anyone you know who owns a small business and go from there?

7. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, over the next few weeks I'm going to host the small company my father works for, that'll bring a small bit of income in.

Cheers, I'll prepare an email to send round! :)

8. sterlingsherrell

sterlingsherrell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not a lot of small business owners even know who they host their sites with. They hire a webmaster and pay monthly for maintenance. I suggest you look at the websites of some businesses in your area. You are likely going to see who they are built by if you look around a bit. Then contact those webmasters and offer a jv/profit share. Each client they bring to you you will give them a percentage of the deal. these guys profits are getting squeezed every day, so if you come and offer this type of deal you may well find yourself flush with partners. Best to you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most people who are looking for host, go to WHT. or at least in business forum like this.
    I once attempt to go into this kind of business before but it seem like I'm not sure if I'm knowledgeable enough about the WHMCS system and competition.

have you tried asking anyone to write reviews about your company?

10. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Business hosting is about price war, in order to win the war. The best place to market would be those coupon site, such as Groupon. Once your company have reputation, then you can charge a better renewal fee for second years.

11. Peter Birganza

Peter Birganza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    If you contact with some named websites and request them to paste your banners on their websites than it will be good for you. I think your website promotion depends upon your quality work. So, you must keep in view that what are your business related websites and how you should deal with them so that they paste your company banner at their website.

12. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As you all probably know, the Web Hosting market is a big one, there are thousands of hosts out there, so going into this market is very challenging. But once we've broken out of the 'challenging' stage, I'm sure like a lot of web hosts, it'll be very rewarding.

I'm seriously considering creating some flyers, or business cards. Online marketing (like emails) seem hard. Because it's rare to find a company with an email, but with no web hosting. I'm going to search for the odd company who don't have web hosting, but I doubt there will be a big gap for this.

As for the contacting webmasters, what kind of percentage of profit shall I offer them? I'm in the process of setting up a referral scheme which could interest them?

Regards
    Ryan

13. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've just sent a lot of emails round to small web design companies in Cambridgeshire (where I'm from). I aimed at the companies who don't offer hosting (as it would be a waste of a few clicks if they already offered it).

We would help each other out, because not only will RHP Hosting get more customers, their company will also look better for offering web hosting as part of their packages.

14. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some their marketing technique is to give a 3 to 6month FREE hosting for webmasters for give reviews about the hosting company and the rest will be paid. why not try offering coupon codes in DP to avail discounts of your services.

15. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure I'm up for handing free hosting out, not just yet anyway. I'd rather fork out more money than hand it out free, as to me, a web hosting company that offer free hosting just aren't taking it seriously enough.

Like I said, I've contacted a few small web design companies, so hopefully I can get a contract with a couple - so they host their clients on our servers. That should get us a bit of interest and publicity.

A lot of web host owners often say to me "1 customer leads to another.. it's just getting that 1 customer that's the hard part". I never though much of it, but I know now. For example, I always used to recommend people to a host I used, and I must have referred about 10 people to them, I earn about £30 doing so.

I'll just have to bite my tongue and get through it I suppose!

16. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You got a unique angle for your hosting company?

There are millions out there.

Why would i buy hosting from you?

What makes your deal better/different?

17. sterlingsherrell

sterlingsherrell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you really gotta know how much each customer equals to you in profit and revenue over their lifetime. Then you could possibly give free hosting for a certain amount of time.
    Here is a bit of out of the box thinking. Try going to flippa (people sell websites there) and look for people who have been selling multiple websites. Contact them and see if you can work out a deal. They host the site with you and when they sell it the buyer gets x months free hosting. This makes their sale more attractive and gains you new customers and your name brand is spread throughout the forum there where a lot of active webmasters checkout daily. Maybe find a couple of others like flippa and do the same. Again you are giving them value on both ends. HTH.

• Like Like x 1
  18. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The comment about finding webmasters and offering some kind of deal is dead on: you have to know who your customer is before you can market to them. Your customer is not "people who need hosting." It's not even "webmasters of small businesses that need hosting." Get SPECIFIC, like "webmasters of small businesses near me that offer services for which reliability is key, like security systems or 24/7 tech support." Then tell them your hosting offers the lowest amount of downtime around, and you also keep your cell on you at all times in case something goes wrong. Of course, that should also be true. If it's not, pick something that sets you apart, like extra help setting up the site for newbies, then target new businesses that are going through the hosting buying process for the first time. Targeting a market leads to targeting a value proposition for that market.

19. Preemo

Preemo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm offering a free months hosting here at BAF to a few members in a thread. It's mainly to test all the features, and just so I've set everything up okay.

I'm going to aim it at small businesses around my local area. They're easier to get in contact with, and easier to communicate with. I also don't know a popular host that has aimed at this gap, which means there's definitely a position to be filled there. I'm going to email round a few companies. However, I'm still edging towards the idea of creating flyers and dropping them round local small businesses. For example, if I brought 100 (that's more than enough for my town). Even if I only got a couple of customers, in the long run it'll benefit me. Also, it may get a few of the businesses without websites, thinking about getting one.

Thank you for everyone's comments.