Advert Banner Design - What to include?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by MickyT, Sep 24, 2010.

1. MickyT

MickyT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know this is quite a general question as all websites/businesses are different, but still I will ask, what are the most important things to include when designing an advertisement banner, what attracts the best attention and a good amount of clicks? What do you use yourself that has been successful if you have any examples you can share.

Thank you.

2. SM4BIZ

SM4BIZ
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Micky,

Obviously it would be important to review any competitive banner ads prior to answering, but in general you want to make sure your banner ad does the following:

1. Provides a compelling reason to buy from you
    2. Shows a promotional incentive (25% Off All Cannon Ink Cartridges) or graphic link to promotional page (Click Here for exclusive Printer Cartridge Savings)

The last piece would be how you graphically represent this content.

SM4BIZ

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've read that banners that include the words "Click Here" on them get a lot more clicks. Try to ensure that your banner design looks professional, so that it will create a good first impression of your business and website.

4. MickyT

MickyT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks guys, thats one thing I have (almost) always done, included "click here" over things like "visit us" and such.

What would you include as an incentive if it were for a forum, I do have a few examples, these ones below, but I am not sure if I could do them any better and get more clicks and members joining of course :)

[​IMG]

Not sure if that one is fancy enough or not, I would include images of teens like actual stock photos but they tend to look very cheesy to me.

[​IMG]

This second one I prefer much more myself, I know I am more attracted to it than the first myself. I have considered doing some more basic ones like a bright yellow or reddish background with block capitals in animation changing from TEENFORUMZ.COM > CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP > ADVICE AND CHAT. Something like that :D

Any ideas for improvements? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

5. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

On the 2nd banner, your click here is not centered within the box?

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Those banners look great MickyT and the forum itself is excellent. The only small suggestions I would make are as follows;

Perhaps emphasise the "Z" a little more in both of the banners, you want people to remember that part of the domain, if they are typing it into their browser from memory. Even making the "Z" ever so slightly larger than the rest of the text would give it some emphasis and make it more memorable.

The space above the text on the right of the first banner looks a little empty to me, I'm talking about the space where you have the three people in the background. It might help to add something a little stronger in that area or maybe even raise the "Teen Forumz" text up a little higher. In fact the text might look better right up close to the top border, with the image of the three people below it.

If there's room, it might also be an idea to add the website address, i.e. "www.teenforumz" to the first banner.

Just to say again, these are really just small suggestions based on my own opinion and your banners already look great.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I really liked those banners. They are really professional looking.

1st Banner: Like most of the people here, I guess you should put your site's name a little higher. Maybe in the horizontal center of the banner. And honestly, I didn't notice that there's 3 shadows there until Fegal said. Maybe you could also add the image present on your 2nd banner to your 1st banner and don't forgot to put the URL on your animation.

2nd Banner: My only suggestion here is make your site's URL a little more visible. Maybe make the text color, white and stroke it with the color used in your current text.

8. MickyT

MickyT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks guys for the feedback, think my eyes were playing up when I was centering the text lol I will try and emphasise on the "Z", I remember when we first bought the domain and we planned on doing so, seems to be something we forgot about completely, I will see if enlarging the Z helps, hopefully it wont look odd. I am going to try and redo the second banner (tfdarkblue.png) and have it as 468px x 60px. Could do with a rework based on the advice given here and I need it at that size anyway. Thanks again for the help here and I will post the result a little later.

EDIT: Does anyone know if animated banners perform better than static ones if thats the right word for them.

#8 MickyT, Sep 25, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  9. MickyT

MickyT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Okay I have given it a go and took almost all of the suggestions on and this is what I have come up with, is it better than the others? I also have a non-animated version too. I am not sure if the Z is emphasised enough and the same with the URL text, what do you think? :)

[​IMG]

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That latest banner is much better than your previous one.
    And regarding your question on static and animated, both have each advantage and disadvantages.

Animated banners always catches the readers and visitors' eyes especially if done right and have higher chances of getting clicked. But they regularly takes up more size than static ones, and have much slower load times when viewed using a slow internet speed.

Static banners on the other hand uses less space, more or less a couple of kb, and loads faster than animated ones. Depending on the design, the number of visitors who clicks on them varies.

Hope that helps. :)

11. MickyT

MickyT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you, I think I will use the animated one mostly then where I can :)

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But be sure, as much as possible, limit the file size below 100kb and not over 300kb, so it will be faster to load.

13. MickyT

MickyT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I certainly will, I wouldnt want them taking far too long to load for anyone, that one up there is around 25kb, I could lower it if I didnt animate the text :D

14. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Weight of image seems nice.

I think you got the most important things on your non-animate banner :
    - 3 reasons to join your forum
    - Attractive colors
    - Join button

The animated one, i find it less nice. Maybe shorten, put only words and not sentences ? We must read fast the sentence before it changes.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with GekiDan, that the most recent banner looks best. It is very professional and appealing in appearance. It inspires interest and looks like an ad that will have a good click through rate. Including the domain name in the banner is also a good idea, as even those who don't click it may remember the site name and type it into their browser at a later time.

16. john63

john63
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keep the message short as potential customers will only glance over the banner, the message has to hit them quick. Too much information and you have no chance. If you can use a catchy image to reinforce your message definitely go for it. With the internet try and stay away from meassages like 'FREE' and 'Special Offer' - there is too much of this on the internet and so people pay no attention anymore. Try and make the message real... not cheap.
    John McClean