Adsense Optimisation Question

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by MickyT, Sep 26, 2010.

1. MickyT

MickyT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was wondering, if you played with your adsense positioning/placement on your site and found that the CTR had dropped quite a lot and your earnings per day decreased in half, would you revert the back to the way you had them after a few days of seeing the poor results or would you wait it out a bit longer?

Any opinions on this at all :)

Thanks!

2. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't be overly concerned with waiting for any specific length of time, I'd be more interested in making sure that I had a representative sample on which to base the decision. Website traffic (and clicks) will change with given trends, be it time of the day, day of the week, start or end of the month, and so on. When viewing a sample data set, you need to ensure you're comparing 'like with like' as much as you can to see the real consequences. Doing this however isn't easy and if you're dealing with a small subset (e.g. a small number of impressions/clicks) it becomes increasingly sensitive and more difficult to judge.

If the fundamentals behind the changes (you say 'played' but I'd assume it was a little more scientific than that with logic behind the changes) are still valid in your mind, I'd not rush to a decision and I'd give it a little time to see how the bumps settle. At the same time, if it's a significant drop in revenue, you need to ensure that you act quickly enough to rectify any bad choice.

Were the changes in layout made in an attempt to increase revenue? Or were there more fundamental reasons (change in website design to improve user enjoyment) for the change? If the former, once I'd made sure that there had been a significant drop in CTR based on trended results I'd move relatively quickly to revert. If the latter, I'd allow far more time for the changes to settle in (and users to become aware of them/the improvements they've brought) before coming to a decision.

Have you got a link to the site(s) in question? There might be an obvious reason why the change in placement has lead to a drop if we see the layout (e.g. if you've moved an ad below the fold or away from the important text of a page).

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

MickyT has the quantity or quality of traffic to your site changed? How did the change impact on the site's Adsense eCPM?