Admins who dont care.

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by Jerlene, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you think about forums whose admins just don't care about the members? Ive been a member of a very popular forum and the admin is not just a horrible admin, but a horrible person. He belittled his members and speaks to them with vulgar language. Its amazing that the forum keeps going. But it is a really popular forum so I guess that's why people continue to use it.

2. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I don't think I would like to sign up for that forum if the admin isn't as friendly as our own admin. All forum admin's I've seen in different forums I signed up was just fine, if not great and friendly. If the forum still goes on, I think they just like the discussion with other members and not having the admin as a problem.

3. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I find myself coming back to the forums with friendly staff and admins. The ones with rude admins or non engaging staff simply eventually fade away for me. One of the reasons I love BAF so much :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Leejeong

Leejeong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Only in this forum and our local forum in the Philippines I found the bestest admin. I dunno why such admins are doing such. They should set an example to his community. anyway, maybe most of its members has "admin-like personality". Good thing, BAF never experience such.

5. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was a really active member of that forum but I just can't take it anymore. The guy is the biggest douche who actually deserves to have that forum fail.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I wouldn't want to participate on a forum like that and it is difficult to understand how an admin with that kind of personality can build a successful community.

Forget about them Jerlene, spend your time here with us, we love you here and we would never speak to you like that :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So probably we should rename BAF with a double "F"? Right?

BAFF - BusinessAdviceFriendlyForum... :D :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@Fergal - Thanks! I am moving away from them and spending my time on this forum and one other forum. I'm over it.

@Mark - lol Either that or friendly should be in the tag line.

• Like Like x 1
  9. angelajason06

angelajason06
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I found Every forum with so Many restrictions..

10. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't been to a forum with such admin. All admins i thought are friendly and nice because theyre responsible enough to handle a community. I don't want you to post the url though but cn you just give us a clue just so we will be aware :)

11. Michail98

Michail98
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The great thing about forums is you either like them or not. If you find one as you described, I wouldn't be a member. There are many forums (such as BAF) that has members and a admin that want to be part of a community; rather than, some self-serving idiot like you described.

12. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't want to post the URL and give clues. It's really not worth knowing. It's one of the biggest forums on the web though so many of you are probably already members?

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When I hear criticisms of admins of really successful websites or owners of really successful businesses, I always wonder how they got to be so successful in the first place. I also ask myself the same thing when I begin to question the competency of someone successful. To achieve that level of success in the first place, they must be doing something right.

14. inspirASIAN

inspirASIAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Unsurprisingly, I know a similar forum that matches your description very well. Not only is the admin completely shameless, even most of his staff fits the same description. It's a very large forum though, one of the largest forums that revolves around its particular niche. From what I've noticed even the members share the same attitude, you can only count the good ones with good upbringing.

In this kind of community, members either adapt or leave, but it's mostly the former since they usually yearn for an active community and if there's only one choice remaining then as the saying goes "if you can't beat them, join them." and that's how it works. Ironically they even have a forum section dedicated to advertising your own website and forums. Many members including those that dislikes the community due to its nature are trying to use that very section to advertise their own forum in hopes of becoming the next big forum that revolves around the same niche as the parent forum itself. But that never works.. it might work for a few days but after that you'll find the members returning to the parent forum where you got them from. You might be able to snatch a couple away if you're persistent but your effort can only do so much.

In reality, there are a couple of forum "admins" that creates a forum simply just so they could feel a sense of authority, but that's definitely something you wouldn't wanna see in a large and blooming forum community. In addition, there exists forum admins that starts "nice" to the point that you actually see him as the ideal administrator every community should have but as the said community gets larger by the day, the admin slowly change. That's a rare occurrence but it definitely happens.

• Like Like x 1
  15. eelizasanchez121

eelizasanchez121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What forum are you talking about is it a business forum or what kind of forum.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If the forum you are talking about is so bad, why would they go back to it? They must be getting some value from the forum?

As a forum (or in fact any website or business) gets busier the Admin / owner will have to change their management approach on that forum. As a simple example, on a small forum the Admin can read every post and personally welcome every new member to the site, but the Admin of a really large forum wouldn't physically have the time to do that. The same applies to moderation, the Admin of a small forum could take the time to closely investigate each suspect post and speak to the member concerned, but again the Admin of a really large forum couldn't possibly have the time to do that. I suppose my point is, that the change you mention isn't necessarily down to arrogance or a change in personality, but a change in management approach that is required due to a significant increase in workload.

17. inspirASIAN

inspirASIAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Simply because it's the only active community that revolves around its niche. It's a popular niche, there are many different boards that tries to strive and be the 'next big thing' but that particular forum still remains to be the most active. Again, they want an active community but the only drawback is the negative attitude of the staff and now the members, so most of them adapted. I suppose it's one of those concepts when a perfectly sane learns how to become a capable troll of the internet.

The thing is—the niche that this forum is revolved around in is well sought out among fans of the niche. There's no other community that's as active.

That's a given. I don't think its part of the management approach to constantly insult new members after the forum got bigger. And well, even the members did the same since they think they're hot and everything, being 'old' members of the forum. The only gripe is that the very management team itself isn't doing anything about it. You'd even find it funny that the staff team didn't have the pair to use such behaviour back when they had no more than 40 active members.

• Like Like x 1
  18. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say that I have never experienced such things till now....

Thanks to Fergal, BAF and as they say in my country ... " A good start means half work Done"

Although there can be impositions and restrictions but no way vulgarity(any one or members not comfortable with) can be think of at any public discussion platform especially forums...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dorfy

Dorfy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This isn't necessarily true, one forum that reeks of this is Red Cafe a Manchester United Forum, it's actually more popular than the official forum. In fact it is two boards, the one most have access to is what they call the "Noobie board" to get onto the real board you are scouted as to the quality of your posts, there are noob's on there who literally have thousands of posts. They also have hidden MODs, who will ban noobies for the slightest transgression.
    Because they are so popular the Admins tend to be very cocky,and think they can treat people like dirt, but the board is so popular that people flock there, so they can be ignorant so and so's all the time.

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Honestly I'm surprised that people would stay on forums or other community sites, where the site moderators or admins are rude to them. There are so many options available on the web, that I don't know why people would put up with anyone being rude to them. I'm not suggesting that it doesn't happen, I just personally find it hard to understand why it does.