Adding Alt and Title Tags to Improve SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by KipFXDesign, Apr 7, 2010.

1. KipFXDesign

KipFXDesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I tend to do a few tutorials now and again for people, full info is on my site, but these are very useful to many people, so hope you can find a use to them too.

Kip

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nVb_5L88XzY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nVb_5L88XzY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing that with us Kip. I've followed your advice and added a title tag to the Business Advice Forum logo. Alt tags are also important for accessibility and for people using screen readers. How does adding a title tag to an image, help your SEO over and above the inclusion of an alt tag and naming the image correctly?

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I'm not mistaken, the alternate text you put on your image will show up on the description when it shows up on Google Search. With this, it means that putting the right name for your image can bring you search engine visitors.

It can also help your site gets visibility on image searches.

4. KipFXDesign

KipFXDesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pretty much, GekiDan is bang on the button.

Alt tags are there so that the visually impaired or blind know they are on the right page, and haven't landed on some random site, but it also holds with search engines, as do the title tags, when you hover over an image and a little box shows you a few words about the image ie, Business Advice Forum Header, this is the title tag doing its job, they do not always show correctly in different browsers, but search engines love them. Edit: Sorry should have added, choose the Title Tags relevant to the images, but key word friendly, a site with 100 pictures jumps up by 100 keywords or search phrases then)

Googles big push this year is Site Speed and Social Networking links and popularity on them, so make sure you are using them to their full extent, if not, skip to it!

5. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Note that you can have the most simplest Google Image searches and come up with some "different" images. Utilizing the alt and title text do help to get coverage for different searches.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But with that, some people forgets to put alt image tags on them so Google uses the keywords present in the article wherein you post the image.

7. KipFXDesign

KipFXDesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As promised, Google is concentrating on Site Speed, this is going to have to become a major factor on your web sites and SEO, ignore SEO at your peril, having a thousand visitors a day does not guarantee you the front page status on Search Engines, there is always somebody that wants to beat your ranking, and may be ahead of the game, http://www.businessadviceforum.com/ just like I was with this, Google finally announced it today, and this has been going into my new customers site builds for the past 2 months.

You have to be ahead of the game, not at the back playing catch up!

Hope this helps

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The fact that they are going to focus on site speed makes sense. Google will be a more helpful resource for users, if the sites they find through the search engine load quickly. No one wants to click results in the SERP only to find that the pages hang and open real slowly.