Add a blog into an existing website - How can I include a blog without changing site?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by mv5869, Mar 9, 2010.

1. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have an existing Poker site (http://www.firstpokertips.co.uk/), which I am building into an authority site on Poker strategy, tips etc.

Most of the site is pure content that I have written myself. However I would like to post regular articles, poker tips, hints etc to a blog area. My plan is to leave most of the site as it is, but to add the posts to a blog area. Using blogging software would save me a huge amount of time because it can manage the organisation of the articles under tags, dates etc.

Is it possible to add a blog to an existing site without changing the other pages?

Any recommendations or advice from anyone that has tried it would be hugely appreciated.

2. aitendant

aitendant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Please consider wordpress. Its relatively easy to do. You can download it here www.wordpress.org. One one thing I would add is that you find a blog template that matches your site, that is if you do not want to build one.

As an example, the support and policy pages of http://www.aitendant.com are blogs.

3. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

It is very easy. First, of all you have to make a sub-domain name on the hosting plan which be something like this one: : http://blog.firstpokertips.co.uk/ and then Install any blogging software you like, I would recommend you to use wordpress as it is very easy to use and it is very handy in Search Engines also. You can get templates for wordpress freely from many places you want.

If you don't know how to make a sub-domain then PM me for help or reply here and I will show you.

Thanks!

4. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually you don't even have to do subdomain. You can just install the blog under subdirectory blog. Both sub domain and sub directory are similar except you can get to blog using the sub domain. SEO treats sub domain as sub directory and nothing special.

Also you don't have to download blog outside. May be check with your host provider and if you have cpanel you should have access to blog scripts provided by your host provider. Check and it would be easy to install from the host provider.

Let me know if you need help. I have many blogs which I installed for my personal purpose.

5. Alexishost

Alexishost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

simple solution
    Contact your hosting provider for your issue.

step by step
    Ask them step by step to do how.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

7. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks all. I'll be trying it on Saturday

I'll let you know how I get on.

8. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

An update on this... I got it working! You can see the results at http://www.firstpokertips.co.uk/blog/.

To anyone that want to try and install a Wordpress blog. GO FOR IT. Its much easier than I thought. To be honest it took my about a day in total including getting all the style sheet right, but if you were starting a site from scracth it would take less.

Most of my time was spent getting the blog to look like the rest of the site.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the update mv5869, glad to hear it worked out for you, it looks great.

10. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thats great mv5849. I am glad our tips helped you. Keep poking and you might be expert in blog setup and even get paid to do it.. :)

11. lancemayer

lancemayer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you have access in your ftp then create a blog folder and install the wordpress template there.

12. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try the blogger too. Blogger is a free blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Aside from word press I also refer blogger.

13. kiwistech

kiwistech
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well it was pretty much supportive. :cool2:

14. andrewc

andrewc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you already have a blog on blogspot, WordPress will let you import your blog and its super easy to do.