Accused of being a moron for suggesting DBA ???

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by R083RT, Nov 21, 2014.

1. R083RT

uix_expand uix_collapse

Nov 21, 2014
    For the purpose of anonymity I am changing the business names.
    Using ABC LLC and Pine Tree Apartments instead of real names.

I am a property manager, and the building is owned by ABC LLC, not me.
    The building was bought several years ago, and when it was bought it had a sign on the front of the building with the building's name on it. It's called Pine Tree Apartments. So moving years later I am managing a building that's owned by ABC LLC and has a big sign on the front that says Pine Tree Apartments.

I did a search to make sure the name "Pine Tree Apartments" is not registered with anyone, it's not.

Here's what I proposed to the LLC owner:
    To this suggestion the owner got mad and here's the summary of their reply.
    The advice I was given is to keep using the ABC LLC name or just use the Pine Tree Apartments name (even though it's not registered as a DBA).

So here I am looking out for the best interest of the property and making a suggestion to the owner and got totally slammed. It wasn't even a mature conversation, just let me take over the conversation disregard anything you have to say.

Here's the thing. I think I'm right. I think getting a DBA is a minor act. I don't think it will cause any legal trouble or confuse taxes. Also think it's a smart move. I think her points are invalid and makes her seem like someone that doesn't know what she's talking about. I also think that using the name Pine Tree Apartments without registering it as a DBA as suggested by her would actually be legally irresponsible. That's because in worst case scenario the court will say it's ABC LLC and you're calling it something else that's not registered (DBA) to you.

BUT I'm giving her the benefit of doubt.
    Asking the community for feedback.
    Am I really wrong about this, am I the moron she claims I am?

I'm bringing this up not because I want to be rude to her. But rather want to get an outside opinion. It just feels weird letting someone else invalidate you when you think/know you're right. But then again maybe she's right, like I said I'm willing to be wrong about this just seeking feedback from other business minded people.
    #1 R083RT, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  2. Joseph.Shivell

uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Oct 8, 2009
    I am not familiar with real estate law, so I cannot help you there, but I might be able to help you in another way. When you give a suggestion or advice to someone, especially to the owner of a business, how you give the advice/suggestion is just as important as the merits, if any, of the advice/suggestion itself. To use your own words, you think you're right. You think that her points make her seem like someone who doesn't know what she is talking about. At the end of your post, you referred to her in a profane manner(which I have edited to make it more polite). If this is the attitude with which you express your opinion, I'm not surprised she called you a moron. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, you do not own the business, and it is not up to you what her apartments are called. Therefore, you should not present your suggestion as if you know how to run her business better than she does. Have any of the tenants had problems with friends or relatives getting lost because of the different name, or have deliveries not arrived? If so, perhaps you can present it to her as a concern of the tenants, rather than as something you want done, with only your opinion to back it up.
    And, you might want to verify that you are correct about the legal and tax problems before you present it.
    • Like Like x 2