Accounting with human or software?

Discussion in 'Accounting and Taxes' started by fredrick.molby, Jun 28, 2012.

1. fredrick.molby

fredrick.molby
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can people let me know what there preference is - Accountant or Accounting software? And also if software, what would your first choice accounting software be?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The most popular practice would be to use both methods, i.e. a human bookkeeper who uses an accountancy software package.

4. gogreenbusiness

gogreenbusiness
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am an accountant and i say it's better to keep both of them... you see accounting software can make your job a lot easier, but you still need a real person to see if your system is providing you accurate financial data. Besides, accounting software doesn't have the capacity to initiate an adjustment on your accounting, which is most of the time, needed particularly on those moving accounts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Life_is_good

Life_is_good
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Accounting with human and software.

6. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with the above, speaking from a small, small business perspective. I help my husband with this business and we use Quickbooks. Quickbooks is awesome and very easy once you get it set up. The problem is keeping up with it (as I said, this is a small, small business). So having the human there to oversee and make sure it was up to date regularly is very important. Plus, humans make sure the computer is doing what it's supposed to be doing.

I probably wouldn't outsource our books completely to another person. That causes undue reliance on someone else. I think it's best to keep a portion of it in house and then outsource the important, especially tax-related tasks.

Your situation may vary, of course.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fredrick.molby

fredrick.molby
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for all the great advice. I think from the response I am inclined to go with the best of both worlds so I have the intention of bringing in software as well as employing a part time accountant to check things are running smoothly. I do have one question though for Mark Ts as he suggested about what modules I wanted to cover. Well, Ideally I want to cover both core and non core modules and one software I feel may do this after plenty of research is Sage 50 Accounts, let me know what you think and also if you have any other suggestions that will do just a good job; please let me know, thanks.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

[Post approved from moderation!]

9. saju09

saju09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am using an accounting software, but I ask my friend who's an accountant to audit my work from time to time if necessary. If you have accounting knowledge or your familiar one to check it sometimes, then you should use accounting software.

10. jaguar2

jaguar2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think accounting with human or software both are good for us because they both will effective for working in good speed and with accurate results.

11. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Accounting software is a great time saver for keeping your financial records. If you are knowledgeable about financial statements and do your business tax returns yourself, a good accounting software package may be all you need.

However, software only organizes your data and presents it in financial reports. If you don't understand the reports and know what to do with the information that comes out of the software, then you definitely need an accountant. Most small business owners have a number of talents, but try to wear too many hats to save a dollar (or a pound) here and there. If accounting is not one of your strengths, definitely get an accountant.

12. jaguar2

jaguar2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think accounting with human or software both are good for us because they both
    will effective for working in good speed and with accurate results.

13. tips_commodity

tips_commodity
    uix_expand uix_collapse

with software obviously.. it makes work faster and easy.

14. Choice Checks

Choice Checks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Using Peachtree products works very well if you need to have FIFO and LIFO inventory. Peachtree gives you the true numbers where as Quickbooks gives you an average. Software and human is the best way to go. Peachtree does not have a limit on your invoices and etc.....where QB does.

15. fredrick.molby

fredrick.molby
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks I think I will stick with human accounting but would like to make the process more accurate and efficient, so what software would people recommend? I have had friends suggesting Sage 50 Accounts, what do people think of this material?

16. ChrisDouthit

ChrisDouthit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It really depends on what you need. At PayGear.com they will keep track of all affiliate payments, collect the W9 form from your affiliates, then 1099 your affiliates for you on January 1 of the new year. It is great service and can save you a lot of time.

So it really depends on what you are looking to do.

17. movingsoftware

movingsoftware
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also agree that it depends on the business you are running. Believe me, there are hundreds of softwares available in market with which one can easily solve their accounting needs. Whether you are involved in business of moving or running a large enterprise, there are accounting software available for most of the types of business.

18. even

even
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Advantages you get from an Accountant is when an error occurred it can easily be fixed not like with an accounting software but the what you can from the software is fast and much more accurate that an accountant. Depends on which is more preferable for you.

19. harryvent

harryvent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am using an Apptivo accounting software, because of every account keep tracking with this software. This is one example of using this software apart many integrated apps is available it helps to manage my clients, expenses, Invoice etc.