About market competition

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by alextroat, Jul 13, 2010.

1. alextroat

alextroat
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was really hoping to get some help from you folks about this issue. My company is now starting to look at a new venture of selling running equipment. However, the product we are training our attention is on trainers. But this market is really competitive. I am really in a jam now. Do I compete in a market with a high search volume but higher competition or do I go for a market with a not so high search volume and lower competition? I really can’t figure it out. What are your opinions on this?

#1 alextroat, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Are you asking this question purely related to whether you should do this in an on-line environment? Lets say online. Without knowing the market its hard to say. While a market might be very competitive if the items are high margins then a few sales might suffice. High Volume of searches mean if you do things right you can pickup business from established players if you are smart. If you can get your site higher in google, if you can do better adwords etc, better online advertising.

With a niche with lower searches you have a more targeted market. You may need to spend less as its not as competitive but you may or may not get as many sales. This then goes back to your margins.

You should do more research into who your competitors are, prices they charge, delivery times etc. You need to make sure you can compete.

Regards

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

alextroat, both of the product types you talk about are very closely related and will target the same market. Why not try both of them?

Are you using any tools to research the competitiveness of various keywords? If not you might want to have a look at Google Keyword Tool.

4. xanderlangley

xanderlangley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should aim both markets simultaneously but giving more preference to the market with high searches because it will take a good effort for you to maintain a good position there once you have achieved a good position then you will get a good amount of business.