A variety of means to ease computer eye strain

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by sunway0924, Jan 11, 2010.

1. sunway0924

sunway0924
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe most of members here are over-using compters everday. Any uncomfortable feeling occur?
    About 50% to 90% of computer workers are being affected by bothersome CVS symptoms such as eye strain. Researches have revealed that this discomfort can cause physical fatigue, decreased productivity and increased work mistakes. The following is a detailed introduction on how to address CVS.

The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) recommends people to take a computer eye exam before computer work, and tell the doctor your computer work frequency. Excessive light from either exterior sunshine or interior lighting brings eye strain at a higher possibility. The proper lighting should be about half of that in most offices, so that you should close drapes, shades or blinds to reduce outside light and use lower intensity bulbs and tubes.

Light glare and reflections from walls and the computer screen also contribute to eye strain. Many convenient ways are available to solve this problem, such as setting up an anti-glare screen on your monitor, painting bright walls into dark and applying anti-reflective coating to your lenses.

Liquid crystal display (LCD) is built with an anti-glare surface, which is beyond a cathode ray tube monitor (CRT). Even set to the highest possible refresh rate, CRT screens may cause image flicker and lead to eye strain. For LCD, a higher refresh rate and larger size are more helpful.

Most displays provide a series of settings for adjustments. The screen brightness should be the same as the ambient environment, and the contrast between the screen background and the on-screen words should be high. Text size and color can also be adjusted.

Most people blink less frequently during attentive computer work, which may lead to high rate of dry eye. Long period of non-blinking phase speeds the evaporation of tears so that your eyes can not get rewetted in time. Dry environments can also bring dry eye problems. You can ask your doctor for artificial tears to ease this problem. Lubricating drops are not capable of reducing dryness and irritation.

Two ways of exercising your eyes to reduce focusing fatigue are widely applied. One way is gazing at a distance object outside every 20 minutes, which relieves the eye’s focusing muscles. The other way is to alternately look at a distance object and a close thing. Frequent blinking is also needed during these exercises.

The NIOSH advocates that more frequent small breaks during the work day can sharply reduce eye strain and discomfort. It is also recommended to divide long breaks into several short breaks. During the break, you can stretch your arms, legs, back, neck, shoulders or do other quick sequence of exercises.

Many factors that involve your computer workstation may also affect your comfort. Your desk lamp should not shine into your eyes or onto the computer screen. You should properly place your chair at proper height to get a suitable posture. Ergonomic furniture can also provide useful help.

A variety of computer glasses including single vision type, bifocal glasses and trifocals offer the greatest comfort for computer use.

#1 sunway0924, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've suffered from very tired eyes using a computer myself, so your article is very interesting to me. Do you have any further info on what a computer eye exam involves and what it actually tests for

3. sunway0924

sunway0924
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well, i think any specific deeper test starts with the routine eye exams.
    Routine eye exams mainly contain several steps. The first step of an eye exam is a measure of visual acuity. Eye doctors usually use a specially designed pocket eye exam card holding at about 14 inches before patient, or a standard eye exam wall chart with a distance of 20 feet. Each eye is tested independently while the other one is covered, to confirm the smallest characters patients can read. The letters at the last column of the eye exam card provide the patient’s acuity compared with normal subjects. For example 20/200 means the patient can see at 20feet when a normal one can see at 200 feet, what indicates that the patient’s vision is very lousy. The patient can also wear his glasses to finish the same eye exams, the result are called “best corrected vision”.

The second step of an eye exam is pinhole testing to determine if the eye problem is a result of refractive error. Then the observation of external structures and testing extra-ocular movements are carried out for eye exams. After that, eye doctors will use the ophthalmoscope to do closer eye exam of the outer structures of the eye and view the retina and associated structures. If needed, the eye doctor will also measure the fluid pressure in the patient’s eyes. High pressure may be a symptom of glaucoma.

If you are getting though a continuous tired eyes or discomfort, it's recommended to take an full routine eye exam first.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that sunway0924. Next time I'm booking an eye test I'll check beforehand to see if they can offer a computer one.

5. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for reminding about computer eye strain. I tend to have headaches during weekends. This thread should remind me to buy an anti-glare for my computer this weekend.

6. marc8358

marc8358
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wash your eyes frequently, do the palming exercises regularly and don't strain your eyes by constantly looking ... just look with blinks.............

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks marc8358, can you please tell us what the "palming exercises" involve and how to do them?

8. sunway0924

sunway0924
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Two of the simplest way are blinking and palming
    blinking is significantly effective to relax our eyes. Make sure to blink eyes fast enough and to close them after then for seconds.
    Palming is another easy way with your palms to reduce eye fatigue. Close the eyes and cover them lightly with your cupped warm palms. Make sure that no light rays enter the eyes. This is a recommended daily dose of exercise which would ensure that your eyes remain healthy with the full pressure release.
    Keep on doing it and it would give you a surprise one day.

9. lentrepot

lentrepot
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good tips about relieving eye strain. My work requires me to stare at the monitor for hours and these tips will surely keep me from straining my eyes. I try to stretch every once in a while or use eye drops, but will try the other tips you mentioned.

10. sunway0924

sunway0924
    uix_expand uix_collapse

do not overuse eye drops!!
    lubricating/feel-good eye drops would cause eyes eventualy stop lubricating on their own which would lead to dryer and more itching eye,and what is worse, the antiseptic in the drops can't avoid cauterizing your tender cornea
    it's better of enjoying the comfort of your eyes by doing eye exercise rather than drops

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for all those tips sunway0924, I will start trying eye exercises straight away. Thanks also for the warning re drops. I've been using drops recently, but will use them less now, after reading your warning.

12. sunway0924

sunway0924
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are welcome Fergal, keep on doing the exercise , it takes time to work.

13. arun121

arun121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really helpful information!

It is always better to wear a pair of computer glasses while working long hours in front of computer screen. They may protect your eyes from harmful radiations emitting from the computer screen. I personally use Gunnar advanced computer eyewear & would like to suggest the same to others.

View attachment 1835

14. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You may wear a transparent spex to prevent direct contact of eyes from the rays emitting from computer. After every 20 minutes, you may rotate your eyes clockwise and anticlockwise to just reduce the strain of eye muscles.

• Like Like x 1
  15. crater

crater
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I too have problems with eye strain. I deal with it by looking outside of screen for 30 seconds every 20 minutes.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a lot of time looking away from your monitor crater. Does it have a negative affect on your productivity?

17. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure where i've read the article but few months ago, I've read it that watching green screen, not so green but green screen like grass background or with trees, relaxes the eyes.

• Like Like x 1