A small moan about search engine results

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Printed Products, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Printed Products

Printed Products
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a small moan from my position as a business AND as a user of search engines (about them all but prompted by one which shall remain nameless!)

I know that to look good search engines must return the big companies on page 1 (ebay and amazon in this case) or PERHAPS not seem credible. But seriously, do I need seven (7) of the first page results to be from these two companies? The BEST result from each would be enough for me. I mean, I know who they are already, if I wanted to search on them I would.

OK, that is my rant as a user over. Now as a business, my (unfair? probably) moan is, if 7 results on page one of the results are just two big brands what hope for the rest of us?

Thanks for listening (so to speak)

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

As you mentioned, the best results for each inquiry are what should be ranked, and this is what the search engines would like to provide. Big companies like Amazon and E-bay have deep pockets, and can afford to hire the best people, either within or outside the company, to help them get ranked. However, as a sales rep for a website marketing company, I have also seen smaller companies actually outrank larger, more well-known companies. Some well-known companies, Like JC Penney(a nationally known department store in the US), Outlook.com, and most recently Experian, have also learned that deep pockets do not keep them from getting penalized when they break the rules.
    Ranking websites on a search engine is not a perfect science, and Google is always making tweaks and changes to their algorithm, so they can provide the best possible results for searchers.

3. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

joeroxx got it right. But remember as well that not all sites ranking in the first or second position gets all the traffic.

They only get the highest % of traffic for that search term against their competitors.

1st to 3rd positions might be getting the highest share of around 60% search traffic.
    4th to 6th might be getting a lower share of around 25% search traffic.
    7th to 10th place might be getting the lowest share of traffic around 15%.

Amazon and E-bay does not always get all the traffic. They only get the highest share - some people like using them, while others don't.

Regards,
    Mark

4. MallofStyle

MallofStyle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With the new google algos, the same domain name is not ranked more than once in the search results. Not sure how you see multiple search results from the same domain.