A question on expanding your site's content to optimize Adsense

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by Kay, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't want to hijack simplyjo's thread on increasing Adsense earnings by asking about my own site, so will add a quote from it here and ask my question. I know I'll probably have more.

From PaulPinnacle:
    I've been thinking about adding a forum to my writer's site. I'd be keeping topics writing/publishing/book related overall. Would that count as building related pages too just as much as say more articles would? I don't want to invest the time in building one if it's not going to be.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Kay, adding a forum to your site will add to the number of pages your site has indexed in Google. For example BAF has well over 4,000 pages indexed in Google. Another forum I own, with just over 600K posts, has over 82,000 pages indexed in Google.

3. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Looking at the direct question, the best I can do is "it depends". Trying to do a direct comparison between two different platforms/techniques (articles and forums have very different 'usage' in the eyes of users and search engines), which operate very differently (one you're in total control of and can optimise on a case by case [or page by page] basis vs. one which is mainly UGC [user generated content]), is pretty much impossible. A forum will help further develop the 'theme' of the site and build relevant pages, whether it can do so at a higher level for the work involved than more articles would produce... all depends on the forum users, the content they generate, the quality of the articles that would have been produced, etc. etc...

The way I'd try to make a decision on it is to weight up the work involved in running a forum (you're already very aware of this - it's far more hands on and continual [spammers never sleep] than dealing with articles) vs. the benefits it will/could bring for you and more importantly your users.

A successful forum will increase user loyalty, more interaction, higher return traffic, increase in UGC to pick up on long tail traffic, potential for branding and reputation benefits as an 'expert' in a/the sector, great networking potential (thus future backlink benefits or future job prospects), fun (depending on the community), etc... so plenty of great benefits that 'could' be gained.

On the other hand, if the forum doesn't 'take off', you still end up with a significant moderation/monitoring workload (and given you'd be tying the forum to your existing site [if you're looking at it in terms of expanding 'related pages'] you'd need to be careful with the OBL's generated and the risks it could pose to the authority you've developed) but for little 'beneficial' content.

Personally, in your position (and knowing your ability to run such a forum effectively and attract the right type of users), I'd probably go with the forum (not really for the SEO benefits but looking at the holistic benefits it brings, of which the SEO is a minor factor), but there's no right or wrong answer really.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Paul and Fergal for the replies! :) Really I'm in two minds about it right now because I feel I have to do something new and want to get the most bang for my buck (which would be my time) as it were. I'd also thought about adding a submissions database where writers could find information on editors and publishers they could submit their work to. Seeing how often people move around in the publishing industry though I shelved that because it would almost certainly have had pages where the contact info was outdated at any given point. Keeping that up to date would have been tricky.

I do miss having a forum though like I used to in the old days and am leaning towards that side more, mainly because I know I'd enjoy it more. It would just be nice if it could earn a few pennies at the same time. :)