A one page theme

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by fisicx, Jun 20, 2016.

1. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

I know usability is important but in some cases so is aesthetics. I've got potential clients who want a bit of pizazz so I've developed a one page theme with some funky features. There is little bit of work still to do but I'm quite pleased with the results so far.

And the performance is pretty good. Pingdom loads the page in 1.26 seconds, other tests were similar the slowest being 5 seconds from Australia. Most of that was loading the images so not a major issue. Other bits can be tweaked.

So what's your opinion: http://onepage.aerin.co.uk/

Things to note:
    • Sliding header
    • Navigation scrolls to content
    • Toggled content
    • Slideshow gallery and swipe on touch screens
    Does it work for you? does it work for you on your tablet / phone?

2. BA

BA
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I like the look and feel of it. It's cool too because you could change the background image and a couple colors and get a completely different effect.

• I tested it on an Android with Chrome and it worked fine.
    • I tested it on an iPod Touch using Safari and once I clicked the top fishermans-nets picture. I could not get that image to go away until I refreshed the page.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I tried it on my laptop running Windows 10 using Microsoft Edge(which replaced IE), and it loaded pretty quick - about 1 second. I also tried it on a Samsung Galaxy S7(Android) with Chrome and it loaded quickly and was readable and easily navigable in both portrait and landscape view. I then tried it in a Samsung Galaxy Tab E(Android) with Chrome, and I noticed when I scrolled to the bottom of the page in portrait view, a portion of the photo in the gallery was underneath the navigation links, and the links that required scrolling up didn't work.
    Being in the website marketing field, I am concerned about one thing - having the entire website on one page limits the client's SE ranking possibilities. If they have a variety of phrases they want to rank for, they need to be aware that this might not be possible with a one page website. I know that has nothing to do with the functionality, but I would hate to see them pay for a website, then have to pay someone else to have the entire website redesigned.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Lots of updates and debugging: http://onepage.aerin.co.uk

I understand about the SEO side of things but the predominance of touchscreens for browsing means this sort of theme is now popular. Each page can still be accessed and indexed via secondary navigation, internal linking can make sure there is a link to every page. The only thing the homepage does is collect together the pages listed in the main menu. The theme documentation does explain this.

Remember as well that you control what pages appear on the homepage scroller. You could have thousands of pages but only elect to display 5 of them on the homepage. You can see this in action if you click the 'News' link. It take you to a feeder page for the blog.

Or the 'About Us' link displays a feeder page linking to the Privacy page. But the about us page can be accessed directly as well: http://onepage.aerin.co.uk/about-us/. It's only the main navigation that defines the scroller, everything else is just a normal site.

So I think SEO is well covered in this theme.

5. BA

BA
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Looks great!!! I could also see this being a landing or sales page mini-website. At one point I was looking for exactly that in Leadpages but they didn't have such a thing.