A new Not-4-Profit idea - Will it Float?

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by MarkTaylor, Nov 23, 2012.

1. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking about this idea for a while and would like to get some feedback on it. I should say at the outset, that there is no money in it for anyone but I believe the social good is reward in itself. There should also be some commercial benefits for participants.

The outline of the idea is as follows:

The idea is for a website entitled adayinkind.com and engages two groups...

1. It invites professionals in a range of fields (consultancy, coaching, training, finance, etc, etc...) to donate a day of their time per month / per quarter / per year to provide specific help to a charity or not-for-profit organisation.

2. It invites charities and not-for-profits to access those services free of charge.

The service provided should have a clearly defined outcome and be delivered solely for the benefit of the organisation - it should not form any part of a sales process for the provider.

The benefits to the charity should be pretty clear, but the benefits to the provider could include:

1. A source of references / testimonials for good work undertaken.
    2. A demonstration of their corporate social responsibility.
    3. The prospect of referrals.

... I'd really appreciate your feedback on this idea.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Mark.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It sounds like a great idea, that would benefit the non-profits and the professionals. I have often advised web and graphic designers to do some charity work when they are starting out, to help build their portfolio and their contacts. A website like you are suggesting would be a great way to facilitate and encourage that. Many business people also have an interest in serving on boards as non-executive directors and a site like yours could be helpful to get them started.

In addition to offering a day, would you provide a facility for users to offer a lesser amount of time, e.g. an hour or a half-day.

Good luck with developing the idea, I would love to see it in action.

3. MoneyTrack

MoneyTrack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That sounds like a great idea. I remember hearing a story about how many people are looking to donate their time as opposed to their money (probably in connection with the struggling US economy). For people with specific skills to offer, this can be a huge benefit to a charity. For example, an accountant could serve a charity much better helping with financial matters as opposed to painting (I'm thinking habitat for humanity with this example).

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

• Like Like x 1