A little bit of confusion related to starting a business

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by doomkitten, Aug 26, 2014.

1. doomkitten

doomkitten
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, I am new to the website, so hello, my name is Jace. I am very interested in starting up a new business. I am no stranger to entrepreneurial endevours, but I am in a pickle in regards as to what type of business I should start up. You see, I am disabled, a paraplegic, and I am absolutely frustrated with the system in regards to supplying disabled individuals with a proper wheelchair. Many people that don't know others in wheelchairs, do not understand the struggle we deal with when it comes to wheelchairs. Hospitals and and insurance providers feel that a bulky hospital grade wheelchair is "good enough" when it comes to navigating obstacles. But let me tell you, it is not. I see so many children, adults and older individuals struggling in a crappy, over sized, heavy wheelchair when with just a little funding and some help, they could be gliding around with ease.

The issue I have is, I am a 21 year old female in college, also disabled. I have no job currently because people in my backwoods half of the world seem to imply that a wheelchair means "CAN'T DO ANYTHING"... wrong. So, I have no start up money. As much as I'd love to do a non profit 501c3 organization to raise funds for people, I just financially cannot do that. So, what ever I do, I need to be able to make a profit and still help people.

With that being said, here is my skillset and my general idea. I am a professional gamer and a professional adaptive skater sponsored by Team Box Wheelchairs. I do not get money from this, I get equipment! I have video, photo, and sound editing skills. I have a recording studio (because of gaming). I can write well. I also know some HTML and Markdown code, so developing a website is no trouble for me. My house is accessible, so I think it would be okay to work from home, saving overhead costs.

I want to start a business where I can raise money via fundraising or collection/donation and then with that, provide wheelchairs or equipment to disabled individuals. Now the issue here is, where would my "cut" come from? I don't want to sound greedy, but as I said, I am not in a position to put work into something that I cannot profit from, someday I might, but not now. My fiance, is also a like-minded individual and has great entrepreneurial spirit. He also has a much better PR personality than I. He wants to help, but does not want a financial cut. He said to keep it for myself. Nice guy.

Thanks for reading my novella... does anyone have any input or ideas? thanks!!! -J

2. boysingh

boysingh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you don't have the Money to start a business yet, here are the things that I can suggest you to do. Since I can see that you have skills that can be used online, like using HTML, you can find online freelance jobs first, until you can save money to start you own business.

3. Tim66

Tim66
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As a non-profit organisation, your "cut" would come from administrative and overhead costs as a % deducted from total funds raised. It all depends on what the donors are happy to accept as a reasonable admin/overhead fee % before donating.

#3 Tim66, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  4. Aleena

Aleena
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi
    You have said 'I have a recording studio (because of gaming). I can write well. I also know some HTML and Markdown code, so developing a website is no trouble for me.@
    Since you have good skills I believe you will definitely going to get a good job. All you have to do is to create an account on oDesk.com, freelancer.com and elance.com these are the website which have many projects. You can easily get paid there and I suggest you go for hourly paid projects which pay for sure. This way you will be able to earn good money.

5. Joseph cruise

Joseph cruise
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you have skills like writing skill , html . You can easily get job online as well as offline.. You can work as freelancer in freelancing websites like odesk Bid for article writing or something like that. All the best

6. Domolino

Domolino
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the major problems of our age is that everybody is running when it comes to take action or do something. Yes, no having $50 to invest or $500 it's hard but when you really want something to do you have to follow your dream especially when you have skills and you know how to do something. I suggest to go out there and start borrowing some money and start being a full time entrepreneur. Don't lose your time waiting for ... something..

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

You said you "know some HTML and Markdown code". Although you may be able to create your own website, you may not know enough to offer your services to others. However, as Joseph pointed out, you referred to your writing abilities as "skills", and did the same for video, photo and sound editing, which makes me think you are more comfortable with those. Offering those skills as a freelancer might be a good idea.
    As a 21 year old college student, you are just starting out. Domolino has the right idea. If you want something bad enough, you will find a way to get it, but don't wait for an opportunity to find you. Do whatever you have to do to find it, or create it, yourself. Type this up in as big a font as will fit on one piece of paper, and hang it somewhere where you will see it every day:

"If you have a dream, a fantasy, or even a lifetime goal, and things don't seem to be going your way, don't sit around waiting for a miracle to happen. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and MAKE IT HAPPEN!"

By the way, I am going to want credit,and compensation if any, should you, or anyone else, want to share these words with others.

8. Joseph cruise

Joseph cruise
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow man .. excellent "If you have a dream, a fantasy, or even a lifetime goal, and things don't seem to be going your way, don't sit around waiting for a miracle to happen. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and MAKE IT HAPPEN!" Well said but dream should be practical :)

9. shivshakti

shivshakti
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i suggest you to write more and more blog articles on subject that you are interested in. ask your partner to socialize your blogs, sooner integrate ADsense on your blog. surely you will click as blogger. but remember invest more time in creating and socializing your content.
    your ability to be unique in anything is the key to success.

10. WildWing

WildWing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Jace! Great questions! I would love to offer you a few recommendations. I started my first business when I was 14 - I had little to no money. Over the last 10 years, I have owned several businesses all of which have started with less than $100. Entrepreneurship isn't about doing everything. It's about doing a specific something better than (hopefully) everyone else. Secondly, since you are the one starting the business, it needs to be a business that you are passionate about. When I say passionate, I mean willing to put your whole-self in.

Based on your skills, I would suggest that you actually go for a non-profit type of business where you launch a Kickstarter.com campaign to promote awareness and raise funds. You mentioned a few times that you are a young female living in a disabled world. By that I mean a world where, since you are in a wheel chair, everyone thinks that you are unable to conquer and succeed just like everyone else. This is a shame, and I feel horrible that you are facing such adversary, and I admire that you are taking on the world. I would love to see you raise awareness for such a lifestyle. In an essence, I would suggest that you make being in a wheel chair "hip" or "cool." Then focus on the people that emotionally need this type of support the most - for example, kids who have recently been given a wheel chair.

As for your cut, when you follow your passion, the money will come. If you are running a non-profit, that doesn't mean that you won't make money. You can pay yourself a salary.

#10 WildWing, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014