A lesson in Sharing

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My husband just told me a very good story on sharing and I'd like to share it with the rest of the BAF community.

When my husband was still in his teens, his cute niece came out to the patio holding a banana. When she saw him, she asked my husband is he wants one. My husband upon seeing that his niece is holding tight onto the banana, naturally said "no thanks".

His cousin, the niece's dad, upon seeing this exchange, corrected his niece saying that that is not the correct way to share. When you share, you must do it with the intention of sharing and do it with a smile. With that, the cousin instructed her daughter to get a knife, cut the banana in two and offer it to my husband. My husband then smiled, took the half of the banana and said thanks to his niece.

This lesson in sharing is very important especially to those who are involved in customer service. If you greet your customers or say something polite to them but you do it unwillingly and without smiling, your customers will see through you and consider you as unfriendly and insincere. When dealing with customers, we should all do it with a smile.

#1 Nazreen, Sep 19, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a nice story, I'd have to admit that there have been times when I've offered somebody something and hoped that they wouldn't take it. We can only try to improve and be better.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that most, if not everyone, of us have been guilty of that crime. Just so that we don't appear inconsiderate, we offer something or offer help to others without the intention of sharing or helping. We would also have experienced being at the other side and offered something and had to decline.

There are always signals that people can notice when communicating that tells them if the other person is sincere or not, if the other person is happy or not. It can be the other persons' facial expressions, body movements, or even the tone of voice. This is the reason why even call center staff are advised by their managers to answer the phone with a smile.

4. harmin

harmin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you Nazreen.A smile in our lips can do that work which we unable to do by our many attempts.Body movements and body language,tone of voice with facial expressions affect our relations whether it is professional or personal.Share and help with a gentle smile works a lot and make free to us from any guilty feelings.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Everyone knows that we smile when we are happy but it is also worth remembering that smiling actually helps to makes us happy.

6. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well this actually happens in my life when i have to do foramlity of asking other person. I know its bad but you cant help it. I think its much wiser not to ask other person for it. I know its rude but its better than fiving with half heart.