A Lesson in Passion and Business

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by OnlineBusinessZen, May 30, 2010.

1. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recently found this video on youtube about a soda store owner. However, his story is really not about the soda pop, its about the passion he brings to his business. He simply loves soda, and has made it his life's work.

The video's a bit long, but I thought others might enjoy it - I really found it an inspiring lesson I'm trying to apply to my businesses.

Brad

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think if you have passion and drive in business, you can do anything. You'll draw similar people to you that can help you get where you want to be. Same as if you're negative, you'll draw them too. You've got to love what you do.

3. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I could not agree more - I talk with people all the time who hate their jobs and yet they continue believing they are secure. I tell them to find their passion and pursue it - the money will follow you once you have found your passion.

Brad

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's an interesting video, his business model is quite unusual and goes against the mainstream. I wonder if it's a business that could be successfully replicated by other people in different geographic locations.

5. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Surely a passion and love for what you do not only helps you give good business but you also live a happy life since what you love is what you are doing.

6. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

An interesting question! It appears to me from the video that he does have a successful brick and mortar business. I'm pretty sure this is not the type of thing that could be franchised out like McDonalds, but I do believe if you took someone in another store with the same passion for soda pop he would also be successful.

To me the critical element is actually the soda store owner here - whereas at a franchise like McDonalds it is actually the systems and processes that are carefully designed to make a repeatable business and repeatable customer experience.

If you took an employee from the McDonald's, the system would not skip a beat, but if you took this guy out of his soda pop store, and no one with the same passion was there to replace him, it is possible the store would eventually fail.

So I might conclude that in essence, his passion is the core of the business. Without his passion (or someone like him) the business could collapse.

Still you gotta love it...because it is people with passion like his that build the businesses that grow to be the next McDonalds or Walmart or Apple or Microsoft.

Brad

7. OneLife

OneLife
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Totally awesome. Thanks for pointing this out... I feel a blog post coming on! Passion is what business is all about...

8. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I could not agree more! I love the fact that he's doing soda pop and not rocket science. It reminds me of a number of friends I have that own seemingly mundane businesses but make more than most executives.

Brad

9. ramirezhenry55

ramirezhenry55
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree that passion and money should be the driving force in business. It would also help if there is someone that would help you or that will serve as your business guru.

10. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've tried, when possible, to form "mastermind groups" (a term from Napoleon Hill's very old classic 'Think and grow rich') which basically is a small group of people with similar skill levels who meet regularly to discuss their shared interest.

I generally prefer small groups of 3-5 people - and recently I've even taken do doing this over skype with experts from around the country.

Brad

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

How did you go about setting those mastermind groups up OnlineBusinessZen? How did you find the members and how did you encourage them to join?

12. MikeHardaway

MikeHardaway
    uix_expand uix_collapse

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That link is not working MikeHardaway.

14. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I currently work one Mastermind group (for my personal/business growth) not necessarily associated with my OnlineBusinessZen site.

What I did was try to find others either with an online business or strong desire to grow their online business and then we started chatting on skype every other week. That seemed to work well for us, as everyone could dial in from home to chat and share ideas.

Brad

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds great OnlineBusinessZen, glad to hear it's working out for you.