A Five Year Perspective!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, May 19, 2011.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When you look back at your life over the last five years and what you have achieved during that time, do you feel that you have made the most of the potential and the opportunities that you had? Imagine yourself in five years time, looking back on your life from now until then, will you feel that you had achieved all that you could during that time?

These are questions that I have been thinking about this morning, I feel that I have learned a lot over the last five years and that this has given me a lot of potential that I can realise over the next five years. What I need to exercise now is a positive attitude, discipline and a belief that I can fully utilise my potential during this time. In five years time I want to look back and be proud of what I've accomplished and achieved, what I don't want is to look back and feel that I wasted the tremendous opportunities that those years gave me. Here's hoping!

What about you?

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

when look back on past 5 years, it seems that it is big changing on me. 5 years ago i still an engineer, then slowly from engineer become senior engineer and grow to consulter. And finally i quit my job and be my own boss.
    I can see i'm growing from level to level and most important is i learn a lot during last 5 years. of course i might also wasting some opportunity but still i have no regret on what i choose

3. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I found it is better to only concentrate on now. Future and past are illusions. Hope is also a false profit.
    If you want to be a millionaire, then don't plan anything for the future, just live and work like a millionaire now.
    The future will take of itself and when you arrive there, it will be the now - anyway.
    So you see, future and hope all are false profits.
    There is only now.
    Hold your head up now and live and think like a millionaire, because tomorrow never comes
    There is only now. So make all your dreams come true now and stop reading. :D
    This is how billionaires think.

this baby don't have no five year plan lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wagn8Wrmzuc
    Judas

• Like Like x 2
  4. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Over the past 5 years I've come out of secondary school at the age of 17, went to college until I was 18, then moved to University when I was almost 19. I've been at University for two years now. One thing I regret doing is not starting my medical studies course earlier... Now I'm stuck at Uni for another three years while I complete that course. I wish I had taken it in the first place. :(

5. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Grumpy. Have no regrets.
    Forget the past.
    Just nail your degree.
    Absorb everything life has to offer you and you will be on a distinguished path.
    :)

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting perspective Stephen, I understand that it is important to act now, like the person you want to be in the future. However, I'm not sure that I understand your view on not planning. Is that really practical? Do you not feel that it is important to set goals and to prepare for the future?

You link to a Lady Gaga video, do you not think that she plans her videos / albums on the basis of what she believes will or wont sell in the future?

(I find the topic very interesting and look forward to your answers, I don't ask these questions to disagree with you - I do believe that there is a fundamental truth in what you say and I'd like to understand it better).

You're a young guy Grumpy, if it took you an extra year to find out what you really want to do or even to discover something that you now know you don't want to do, that is time very well spent. The older you get, the faster time goes and you will have that course behind you before you know it.

7. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess my point Fergal is that many people spend their lives looking ahead, hoping and planning for this and that in the future, yet so many are unfullfilled when they arrive there.

Why is this?

I believe I have the answer. The answer is that people force themselves to achieve something their mind tells them to achieve.
    They spend years, putting their natural emotions on hold whilst they hold their breathe and try and hit their targets.
    They do things unnatural to their own spirits to achieve their goals.

Yet, the really successful and happy people don't think that way.
    Don't get me wrong, there is always a plan or two along the journey, just that the really successful people already have an inbuilt instinct of where they are heading and they follow it without too much thought.
    This instinct is as natural to them as honey is to a bee and when they arrive at their target they do so in accordance with nature, meaning that they are at total ease with their success.
    No step of the journey did they lose sight of their true nature, so their success becomes as a consequence of an ever unfolding evolutionary force, rather than as part of a process of contrived motivation and planning.

These people are a joy to behold.
    They are in-line with Gods true nature and work diligently from the heart.

• Like Like x 1
    #7 Stephen Ryan, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the explanation Stephen, I agree with that 100%!

By the way I added a little to my post above (#6) that you may not have seen when you were quoting me.

9. Stephen Ryan

Stephen Ryan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I very much agree that there has to be a good firm basis in reality for understanding what will sell and what won't and that this understanding serves to support the integrity of the creative process. I guess I just feel that the artistic process would find a way of expression anyway, with or without imposition of rules, goals and analysis.

I never had to think before about motivation or creative endeavour. I just did it. Although i have to say, that at the grand old age of 47, i might have to start. :D

All the best Fergal
    Stephen

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Stephen!

I've had a look at your LinkedIn profile and you seem to have done pretty well without thinking that way :)

By the way, you can add your LinkedIn link to your profile here on BAF, at Settings > Edit Profile - where it's the last field on the page.

11. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've definitely not achieved what I would've liked to in 5 years though the last 18months have been really good and it feels like i've progressed in my personal life and my career.