A Big Keyword Surprise - BAF's top keywords

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Fergal, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I was having a look at the top keywords, used by visitors to BAF to find us, in the last month. I have to admit, I was very surprised at one of the results;

1. business forum
    2. business advice forum
    3. types of inflation
    4. business forums
    5. business advice

I'm amazed that "types of inflation" is number 3, I would never have considered that we are getting any traffic from that search term. A search for "types of inflation" on Google brings up a link to one of our threads (that has not received a post in just over two years) on the first page of results. What is Inflation? Types of inflation? How is it measured?

I'm sure there is a lesson to be learned from that, but I'm not sure what it is. Any ideas?

Actually one lesson, is to check your stats regularly to see what keywords are bringing you traffic. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd say the lesson would be to add more information on inflation in the Articles section and so on to bolster up that topic. :)

That is surprising...I looked at mine out of curiosity and one of my top searches that brought people to The Cuckleburr Times was how to write a eulogy, which was a guest article. You're right about checking it more regularly. I don't do that and wouldn't have thought any more about covering that subject again.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be honest, I rarely visit my Google Analytics account so after reading your post, I tried to check on mine and here are the top keywords in more than one year my site came online.

1. jefusion
    2. kamen rider ooo
    3. kamen rider eternal
    4. kamen rider joker
    5. kamen rider w

Funny thing is, even though "jefusion" is not a dictionary word, people still go to search engines and search about it.
    Maybe the word of tongue made people do that.

4. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Huge benefits there. Having a number of related topics (and interlinking them accordingly) would help push further up the SERPs. I think the real 'takeaway' from the analytics stats is to spot areas where some traffic is dripping through (due to low rankings), but is of high quality, and give you ideas of future areas to focus on to improve SERPs in that area.

Also making sure to focus as much of the internal link juice towards the relevant threads (so linking to the authority article whenever a similar question is asked, making it a 'featured' thread, etc.) helps a lot.

I'm still surprised that one is showing up 3rd for BAF though. On the surface I wouldn't have expected much volume for that keyphrase and the rankings don't appear that high for the term (pws=0&gl=US it's on the second page and for myself, with personalisation and localization, it's only in 6th position), perhaps the listing is higher from some of the popular Asian countries.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a good idea that could help a lot to increase our traffic. However, I'm not too sure how relevant that traffic would be to BAF. People searching for "types of inflation" may not be looking to join a business forum, however I could be wrong and I will consider the suggestion.

Word of mouth is most probably a factor Dan, people may have heard the name of your site from others and then searched for it in Google. It probably also includes searches from previous visitors to your site, who look it up in Google, rather than typing the site name into their web browser. Quite a lot of people browse the web in that way.

Thanks for the suggestion Paul, I've featured it.

I've put a lot of effort into improving our rankings for the search term "business advice" so I was extremely surprised to see a term that I had never even considered before, bringing in more traffic through Google.

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just check on the word "types of inflation" which is considered as very low competitive keyword. Normally it can rank good easily due to not many people are doing SERP focusing on the low search volume keyword.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another reason I could think of is that maybe previous visitors are sometimes confused on what domain extension to use since I used .INFO when I first launched the site before I switch to .COM just a few months ago.