80/20 Rule of Blogging

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by cesspadilla, Mar 28, 2012.

1. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I read a blog called the Lost Art of Blogging. It was a really useful blog but the author seems to not post anymore. I was actually really interested to share to you guys this rule: 80/20 Rule of Blogging which states that general, only ~20% of the input is responsible for ~80% of the output in some aspects. He get the idea of 80/20 from Vilfredo Pareto which is called the Pareto principle or “law of the vital few.” You can check out the article at http://www.lostartofblogging.com/why-perfectionism-can-be-harmful-the-8020-rule-of-blogging

After reading the article, tell me what are your thoughts about it. :)

• Like Like x 6
  2. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

good reading :) Thanks Haley although re 20% of people control 80% of income, I thought it was something more like 5% to 95%

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll get back on reading this one when I got more time. In the mean time, I'll just bookmark it first.

4. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Somehow I can't believe this "law of the vital few" :dunno:

Seem like a line of spam lol I always received this kind of line in blog comments :D

5. rkraj

rkraj
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes I agree with you but not in all cases.

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

80-20 rules is a good concepts to apply on most of the business. However, the rules seems broke by google (80% profit of most of the company is from 20% of the customer). Anyway, it really depends on the situation.

7. MarcoAntonio

MarcoAntonio
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great!! I was reminded by my Economic Subject when I was in my tertiary...

Pareto Optimal -- is a measure of efficiency. An outcome of a game is Pareto optimal if there is no other outcome that makes every player at least as well off and at least one player strictly better off. That is, a Pareto Optimal outcome cannot be improved upon without hurting at least one player. Often, a Nash Equilibrium is not Pareto Optimal implying that the players' payoffs can all be increased.

Thank you!

8. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I think that the article has some very good tips, but I really never saw how the author was applying the 80/20 rule to blogging. If I stopped after 20% of my effort, I would not have 80% of the writing done.

I understand perfectionism - let it go and write another article rather than agonizing over every word and phrase - but I doubt that anyone spends 20% of their time writing and 80% editing. Even if you did, you can't get rid of all of the editing. Even the world's best writers don't publish their first draft.

9. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I'm not really a math wizard so I really don't mind the numbers. But after reading this article, I was like "really?" Then it hit me. How perfectionism and the law of the vital few is related.

Why can't you believe?

Can you give us a case? :)

Actually the rule also state that:
    "20% of the world’s population control 80% of its income." and "20% of a company’s workers produce are responsible for 80% of its performance."

Wow! What course did you take BTW? Seems like you still remember some of the lessons. I don't really remember most of the lessons in school. (Yeah! I know... I'm a bad student)

Well I will quote what he said:

Basically it doesn't mean literally "Doing Less" but more like "Saying Less". ;)

10. stellaandreapark

stellaandreapark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cool sharing Haley :) Thank you so much!

11. jimmygekko

jimmygekko
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good post! And ya, I'd too would say more like 95/5% or even higher as far as amount of posts/content that actually drive content. At least for most sites.

12. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Totally agree it, the blog itself is a good example. Once you finish below quote, the rest of text explanation is meaningless.

By the way, I like another quote
    . This is a bit similar to Buddhist principle "get something = loss something" "loss something = get something".

13. InterchangePlus

InterchangePlus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great Article! But as competition grows I think now 10% of the people make 90% of the money and the gap is only getting wider! Well, with Blogging Content is King. I think it is important to write about something you feel passionate about in your own unique way. As far as being perfect. Of course it is not good to make mistakes but I think being creative is where the focus should be. It looks like you have had many posts in this forum and you are a "moderator". How did you get the privelege of being a moderator status?

14. redfox

redfox
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes I agree with you but not so much. I'd too would say more like 95/5% or even higher as far as amount. 80-20 rules is a good concepts to apply on most of the business.

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't know if I understood it fully, but how can you tell if what you do is an act of "perfectionism"?

16. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well like he said, "However, keep in mind this is not a general truth, as the 80/20 principle does not apply to all circumstances, by no means. It’s pretty clear, though, that we can learn a great deal from its microeconomics applications and become more productive individuals or … bloggers." BTW, I was a member last year and have been actively participating in this forum since then. I applied to be a moderator. You can contact Fergal if you are applying to be one.

Probably if you do more (or do the other way) his minimalist lists. Like if you do an article and because you tend to write more, the article has less focused on the subject at hand.

17. AliceNolan

AliceNolan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a wonderful article, but the question is that how can we include ourselves in 20% people.

18. penny cooper

penny cooper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I liked the idea of minimal approach! And also Hailey, I agree with you when you say -> " let it go and write another article rather than agonizing over every word and phrase"... That is very true..