8 tips for better time management

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by Frankers, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Frankers

Frankers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why Should You Improve Your Time Management Skills?

Time management is one of the MOST important things in life. Once you are good at it, you will have complete control over what you do. Instead of thinking that you accomplished nothing at the end of the day, you’ll feel great that you are getting somewhere in life. Whoa that’s deep. Do you want to be someone who isn’t growing my friend? I don’t think so.

Why Not Everyone Improves their Time Management

You probably know someone who just doesn’t ever have enough time right? You may ask them to hang out and do something, but they just seem to never come around. Many people don’t improve because they are unaware of their lack of time management. They usually blame their circumstances. Saying things like I have 8 tests coming up, I am running a business, and I am planning a big event are the usual excuses you hear from people that can’t manage their time.

But successful people do the exact opposite, think about it. Have you heard of the saying, “if you need something done, give it to a busy person”? There is a reason for this. Busy people can usually manage their time much better and have more discipline. That’s why people in business and all walks of life trust them more than the person who sitting on the couch doing nothing.

You have to decide, my friend, whether you want to be the person who gives excuses or just makes things happen. I am going to be very blunt with you. I don’t care what’s going on in your life. I don’t care what circumstances you are going through, I believe in you and I know you will make it happen. After all, the fact that you are reading this shows that you want to improve.

8 tips to improve your time management

1) Write everything down in your schedule and be precise, and I mean EVERYTHING. Write when you are going to have breakfast, write when you are working out, write everything down, and designate a time for each activity. A very successful business man told me once that if I did this, I would be a multi- millionaire, and, the more I do it, the more I believe him. Try it for yourself.

2) Keeping adding things in your schedule, so you keep growing. The mind is like elastic not plastic. Once you learn something from experience, you will never lose it. NEVER. So when you continually add activities to accomplish, you will notice the things that used to be hard becoming much easier. You should never be comfortable with your schedule because it is a sign of growth.

3) Learn to set priorities. Brian Tracy says, “at the start of the day, eat the biggest frog first”. If you accomplish all your important things in the beginning, think about how much more relief you’ll have in the day. Instead of feeling worried you will feel more empowered, more strong, and have more momentum.Steven Covey gives a great chart you can use to help you set priorities.

4) Get rid of distractors. Don’t do things that will make you less productive. If you have a Facebook habit that you can’t rid of, eliminate it completely. Eliminate TV, Facebook, or any ridiculously addictive thing in your life. Spending a few hours a day on these things is not only unproductive, but they deteriorate your life and purpose. I wrote a great article on this. Here is the link http://thebusinessvisionary.com/2012/07/23/the-secret-to-discipline-part-2-it-changed-my-life/

5) Be disciplined. Do what you tell yourself you are going to do. If you don’t, aren’t you lying to yourself? Let me ask you this. If you follow through on your words with other people, why wouldn’t you do the same with yourself? Are they somehow more important than you? It’s one thing to write your schedule but what really makes a difference is executing it.

6) Provide energy through purpose. I want you to write your goals down every day. WRITE THEM DOWN. And I want you to write down the reasons you want to accomplish those goals. This will provide the energy and thrust you need to get you through the day. When you write them down, they are planted in your subconscious and so your mind goes to work automatically.

7) Change your attitude from “I can’t do it” to “how can I make it happen”. The quality of your life is in direct correlation with the quality of questions you ask yourself. If you say you can’t do something, you close your mind off to finding a way to make it happen. When you see other people who have great time management. Don’t say WOW, say HOW.

8) Practice makes improvement, not perfect. Don’t strive for perfection, but focus on simple incremental improvements every day and you will see results. The key is to be aware of where you need improvements. You can do this by journaling your activities every day. Progress measured= progress gained. In other words, if you just write down your progress, you will AUTOMATICALLY IMPROVE.

for more articles, go to http://thebusinessvisionary.com

2. BAFHarvest

BAFHarvest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i really appreciate this much! thanks for this! :) this would really be helpful... i also have really hard time of organizing my schedules. time management is really needed for me .

3. jitu1819

jitu1819
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great tips dear very practical ........

4. Frankers

Frankers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yea no problem. Thank you for commenting

5. Frankers

Frankers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank you

6. rosstaylor

rosstaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Few tips for time management:-
    1. Organize your thoughts and activities; allot an exact amount of time for the completion of each action.
    2. Avoid any form of distraction and keep your mind focused on the job
    3. Never wait or postpone anything that can be done today
    4. Conduct daily and weekly reviews

7. nvir477

nvir477
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great tips dear very practical ........ and It`s really helpful to other and for me also,
    so i am told you thank you very very much..

Thanks to all.

8. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Discipline is sometimes the barrier between having a good time management and not. Sometimes, we do create out time management plan but we do end up messing still since we either procrastinate to do the things we need to, and thus losing the discipline of having a time management plan.

9. pawee

pawee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I needed this most. LOL. Time Management hates me! I use to write what and when things to do but I just can't follow them. Then I always ended up with nothing accomplished but complain how busy I become xD

10. Arro12

Arro12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Time management is important not just for the sanity of every employee, but also for the efficiency of the project as well.

11. Portal88

Portal88
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice tips. Thank you for sharing this information. :)

12. MICHAEL LINDMARK

MICHAEL LINDMARK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Plan to spend at least 50 percent of your time engaged in the thoughts, activities and conversations that produce most of your results.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Everyone,

This is a great article that goes into a lot of useful detail. I wonder if people have made use of the Importance - Urgency Matrix? The basic idea is that you create a 2x2 grid with Hi and Lo for Importance and Urgency and list all your tasks in the appropriate quadrant. In theory, you should address the Hi-Hi category first, but I am aware that some people need to clear the more trivial things first in order that they can concentrate.

What do you think?

M.

• Like Like x 1
  14. smartkathy

smartkathy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Time management is the most effective thing for our life and business. It is good prove, if we will manage well.

15. ssstylish

ssstylish
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great tips. Also, I like GTD applications.

16. kimipatel

kimipatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very useful tips. And we can used this in our management list.. There are some points it's very good for it. like 5,6,7,8 point most... Great one. Thanks for sharing...