7 Ways to Have a Great Life

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by TriangleofTruth, Aug 15, 2011.

1. TriangleofTruth

TriangleofTruth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

7 Ways to Have a Great Life

Long-term goals are important, but don’t make the mistake of putting your happiness on hold until you achieve them. Here are 7 simple ways you can have a great life starting tomorrow morning:

1. Get enough sleep – It makes you smarter, nicer and a better problem-solver. You’ll also have fewer traffic accidents, fewer health problems and a stronger sex drive. And, according to Web MD, you’ll even lose weight and live longer. Technically you can live on 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night, but you’ll live better if you get 8.

2. Say yes with enthusiasm – If you’re going to be on the committee, tell them you’re delighted. If you take the kids to a water park, be the first one to jump in. There are absolutely no benefits to being lukewarm. Enthusiasm is contagious and it increases the likelihood that things will turn out fabulous.

3. Say no without guilt – If you can’t get excited about something, don’t do it! Nothing sucks the life out of a project or outing faster than begrudging participation. You’re not doing anyone any favors by agreeing to something you loath. When you say no, you open the door up for someone else to say yes.

4. Smile at people – It’s free and works wonders. It makes you look younger and more attractive. It also gets you better service in restaurants, boosts your immune system, and relieves stress. Scientific studies show that smiling can actually trick your body into changing your mood. Smile at 20 people a day, and see what happens.

5. Assume people are nice – Sure, you’ll get burned a few times. But you’ll also be right 99% of the time and you’ll save yourself a lifetime of worrying about who is trying to do you wrong. Imagine how nice it would be to go into every interaction confident that the other person is on your side.

6. Recognize your own power – You’re part of every experience you have. Whether it’s your family, your work or your church – you’re one of the people who sets the tone. You have the power to make every situation better or worse. You don’t have to dominate, just decide that you’re going to be an additive person not a subtractive one.

7. Be grateful – Gratitude is like a gateway drug, it leads you to other things, most notably happiness. Think about every miserable person you know, and you’ll see a total absence of gratitude.

We tend to believe that something good has to happen for us to be happy, but that’s not how it works. We’re grateful first – grateful for the promotion, the healthy baby or vacation. It’s the gratitude that floods us with joy, not the event.

If you want to be happier, start being more grateful. Make a list of the good things in your life and put it beside your bed. Read it before you go to sleep and right after you wake up.

Having a great life doesn’t mean that you have to scale mountains, win the lottery or cure cancer. It just means that you’re happy to get out of bed every morning.

So don’t wait for a big event to start enjoying yourself. Your regular old life can be a great experience if you decide to make it one.

Business strategist Lisa Earle McLeod is the author of The Triangle of Truth: The Surprisingly Simple Secret to Resolving Conflicts Large and Small, a Washington Post Top 5 Business Book.
    Read over 500 articles at www.LisaEarleMcLeod.com, download How Smart People Can Get Better Everything, or follow her on Twitter.

Copyright 2011 Lisa Earle McLeod. All rights reserved.

2. ladydeluxehotel

ladydeluxehotel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great post!! To have a great life is to be yourself and follow your heart. In that way, you will live guilt-free. I agree on everything that you said except for number 5. It is hard to assume that people are nice especially when they are not. So, for us not get affected by these people, just follow number four. :)

3. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great post the points are all so true. I like point# 1, I'm not getting enough sleep nowadays and its making me irritated. I admit although this point may sound childish but its so true.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Great tips, I particularly like numbers two and three and feel that most people could learn something from them.

5. kajal123

kajal123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello to all friends..According to me these are good tips .To have a great life is to be yourself and follow your heart. In that way, you will live guilt-free. I agree on everything that you said except for number 5. It is hard to assume that people are nice especially when they are not....thanks for useful sharing for us......

regards......

kajal

6. Winflo Finan

Winflo Finan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Though these tips do help, they're too generic for me.

7. Regan

Regan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great post!!
    These tips promote and encourage me.!!
    Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit.

8. kumarjames

kumarjames
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for this post. It will really helpful in daily life.

9. khaleel

khaleel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great post
    Number 2 reminds me of the movie Yes Man

10. parkersharon32

parkersharon32
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That’s a very nice post. These tips are very encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

11. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. ✖
    2. ✔
    3. ✔
    4. ✔
    5. ✖
    6. ✔
    7. ✔

Me? Getting enough sleep? That'll never happen. My life is still great though! :D

12. writingthefacts

writingthefacts
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good post. Those are very good points you made. I think you could also add "Be a good listener" onto that. Listening is important for business growth and success in relationships and in college.

13. ollebo_ikko

ollebo_ikko
    uix_expand uix_collapse

gives me an advice and very helpful! thanks

14. mbitsol

mbitsol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank man i should get some sleep.

15. TomWbl

TomWbl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Excellent list, I do most but need to do some better :)

16. bilaster

bilaster
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I determination do a quantity of cool stuff by means of fish and currency.

17. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good stuff. I agree with all points you mentioned but how can we sleep enough if have a busy schedule?

18. Eda.J.

Eda.J.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

great reference value.

19. kimipatel

kimipatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all,
    Great post.... All point are valid for Have a great life. But reason is every one Would not be enjoy all the 7 things.... Some one whose enjoy all the 7 things someone not...Any kind of ratio make.....I am not get enough time to sleep so. I want this things....
    Like this every one need something else...

20. alexllever

alexllever
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Say no without guilt

no, i cant do it, damn.

i feel dying to refuse people so i choose to torture myself.

GOD........am i coward?