7 Ways to Be Happier

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by markdoyle, Sep 22, 2011.

1. markdoyle

markdoyle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Accept Things and People for What They Are
    We tend to try to change everything to fit our expectations. We try to make our spouses change the things we don’t like about them, we tell our kids that music isn’t a career and they should get a “real” degree, and we want to change every situation around us.

Try accepting things for what they are for a change. I’m not talking about settling for less or to give up. I’m talking about acknowledging that different people are different, and we’re all unique and amazing the way we are.

Plan the Beginning and The End, But Not the Middle
    I know where I am in life. And I know where I want to go. But I don’t know exactly how to get there. I have a few ideas, but nothing concrete. But that’s OK. In fact, it’s the only way it can be. We can’t predict and plan everything. Spend a few minutes (or hours) thinking about your ideal life. Toss around some ideas that will help you get closer to there, but don’t plan every step of the way. Life has different plans for you anyway.

Follow Your Heart
    Every time I did what my brain told me, it turned out to be the wrong decision. Every time I listed to my heart, it was the right thing for me. I think this is because the people in our lives (parents, spouses, kids, friends) have so many expectations about what we’re supposed to do, that we don’t want to let them down so we end up living a life that isn’t ours. Your heart knows what you want; just listen to it.

Reward Yourself Often
    Scientists who study happiness agree: small, frequent rewards make us happier than bigger, less frequent rewards. In other words, eating out at nice restaurants twice a week will make you happier than buying a luxury home every 10 years.

Invest in Experiences, Not Stuff
    These same experts agree that spending money on experiences (like great meals and travel) is much more rewarding than buying stuff.

Do Nice Things for Others
    Last year I’ve started a really cool experiment: every day I do something nice for a complete stranger. It’s been the most amazing experience of my life. Try it for yourself. Help others. Don’t expect anything in return. This is much more fulfilling than anything you do for yourself or people you expect to return the favor.

2. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One key point that I would have to add and I'm sure there are others out there who would agree with me -- a huge secret to being happy -- be a dog or cat owner! The magic they give us cannot be undervalued in terms of happiness.

3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i also agree with this.i own dogs and aquarium fishes,they really make you feel great once you see your dog wag their tails upon seeing you back from work.

4. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One more thing is know how to control yourself,Sometimes when you are happy there is a probability that it will exceed.

5. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you think those who stay in city is hardly get happy? One of my uncle stay at rural area, he never learn about way to get happy, but his life is happy. The answer could be materialistic make city life getting much more burden.

6. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think he is just less exposed to the daily noise, hustle and bustle of the big cities. I find that I want to move further and further away from large cities as I get older too. I lived in downtown Toronto for about eight years and although I enjoyed it at that time, I would never do it again. Downtown areas are just too noisy for me. I'm out in the suburbs now which are much better but I can still see myself someday living by the mountains.

7. Hamon

Hamon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are absolutely right buddy.

8. andyP

andyP
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are many ways to be happy, but sometimes when people are stressed and busy, it's difficult to know which technique will pay off the most. your list can help you to know which ways to be happy are worth your time. Be happier, starting today!

9. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When come to retire time, I hope that I could stay far away from city. May be we hold too much of thing, we keep planning on hold a big house, big car, get latest phone and computer, chase for authority and money.....all this make our life getting difficult and pressure.

Hold lesser thing should be the ultimate way to be happy.

10. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Having a child around you also creates happiness when he holds you your hand to cross the street and his simple arguments to buy some toffee that you think is not appropriate for his age. I take my brother's son who is 2 years old out when I reach home and the way he runs around and if a car or something noisy passes by he just wraps himself around me and that makes me very happy. He's a lovely kid.

11. ladydeluxehotel

ladydeluxehotel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good things on keeping a happy life! I agree on everything most specially on "Follow Your Heart". You know that is the best way we can do to make our life worth living and a happy one. But we must make sure that we are not stepping on somebody else's happiness just for us to be happy.

12. jason079

jason079
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here are the ten tips to stay calm and happy:

• Regulate your breathing
    • Meditate.
    • Change the Channel.
    • Have an Attitude of Gratitude.
    • Choose Hope and Optimism.
    • Eat Well.
    • Exercise regularly
    • Get plenty of sleep.

Be happy always:D;)

13. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is good advice, what's the point in life if you can't be happy.