7 Cs of effective communication

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Webestrian, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Communication is the only medium to convey whatever you possess.So the more your communication is effective the better you can present yourself.

Here i write the 7 Cs of effective communication.(and specially important in formal and informal business communication).

1 Completeness ; Mean provide all necessary information
    2 Conciseness ; Avoid unnecessary repetition
    3 Consideration ; Emphases positive pleasant facts
    4 Concreteness ; Use specific fact and figure
    5 Clarity ; Use familiar word
    6 Courtesy ; Be sincerely, tact full and thought full
    7 Correctness ; Use the right level of language

The above explanations can definitely vary.

One more thing - A communication tip i like the most thing.Try to avoid the use of negative words. e.g rather than saying "No,you cannot do it this way",we may say "This can be done the other way" etc etc

Hope that i was able to make it clear enough :).

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing those tips with us Webestrian.

It is important to remember that we are always communicating. Every time we write something on the web, every time we meet someone or are in the company of others we are sending out messages about ourselves that will be interpreted by others.

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

High webestrian!
    It's good to learn 7C's of communication..
    Communication in today's world hold a great importance since it is the only medium which allows to carry out most of our daily activities, express our feelings etc.
    These 7C's will just help everyone in making their communication skills more effective & will give more sense of completion to our thoughts.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like your list! Thanks for that.

I find conciseness hard to achieve admittedly. Because I write both for work and pleasure, I find I need a meandering mind -which is good because that's the only kind I have! :D When I write an article and especially a business one, I go back over it to try be more concise. The rest on the list I think (and hope!) I do naturally most of the time but conciseness I need to work on consciously. A lot depends on the type of job it is of course.

At The Cuckleburr Times I publish many articles teaching the finer points of writing and how exactly to improve. One of the authors we publish is a former Wall St Journal writer. His article on persuasive writing explains how to test for clarity, conciseness and density. I often publish things I know I need to learn and hope someone else finds it helpful. :)

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not that particularly good in written communication so this list would be a great help for me. Thanks for the list Webestrian.

I think I'm lacking in most of the 7Cs especially in area of "Consideration - Emphasizes positive pleasant facts". I seldom use positive and pleasant facts and tend to be more of a realist and say what I think should be said. Same as Kay, I'm also lacking in area of "Conciseness". I also tend to repeat myself over and over again.

I think that organization should also be added to that list, but then again it won't be 7Cs anymore. :) This is quite important so as to convey our message across. If an article is disorganized, even if it contains all the 7Cs, it would be difficult for the readers to understand what the writer is saying.

6. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks all for the comments.

@Fergal - yes,you are very right.Communication is perhaps the World's biggest activity.We communicate both intentionally and unintentionally.Sometimes its verbal and sometime non verbal.:)

@scifi - Yes dude, they really help.These 7Cs are always working back in my mind whenever i am communication. I give all the credit to my teacher.She was extremely helpful :)

@Kay - Thanks for liking the list. These 7Cs depend on the type of job and also many other factors,but they are always present.What varies is the degree of these C's participation.e.g. sometimes we communicate a slightly incomplete complete message just to invoke anxiety in our audience.
    & yes i also looked at the acid test.Nice post.

@Nazreen - Yes,organization is also important.Can we call organization as cohesion to add in the list.But then again this would be 8 C's :) .