6 good ways to lie to your boss .

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by Shivam, May 30, 2013.

1. Shivam

Shivam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

View attachment 1663
    1. Examine your body language through your boss’s eyes: The impact of your nonverbal signals lies less in what you really mean by them, and more in what your boss believes you mean. For example, the fact that you cross your arms while speaking may mean that you are more comfortable that way (or that you are cold or you’re concentrating), but that doesn’t really matter. What does matter is understanding that most bosses will interpret your crossed arms as a sign of insecurity, resistance, or even deceit. Conversely, if you hold your arms at waist level, and gesture within that plane, most bosses will be perceive you as assured and credible.

2. Become a Method actor: Trying to display confidence when you’re actually feeling tentative, or trying to be perceived as upbeat and positive when (for any reason) you are feeling the opposite, is a tricky thing to pull off. But here’s a technique (adopted from Constantin Stanislavsky’s Method acting), which draws on real but past emotions: Think of an occasion where you were wholly enthused and absolutely certain about a course of action. (This doesn’t have to be taken from your professional life. What’s important is identifying the right set of emotions.) Then picture that past event clearly in your mind.

3. Maintain steady eye contact: You may be an introvert, you may be shy, or your cultural background may have taught you that extended eye contact with a superior is not appropriate, but bosses from the U.S., Europe, and Australia (plus several other parts of the world), will expect you to maintain eye contact 50-60% of the time. When you don’t — if you continually look down (which is a signal of submission) or let your eyes dart around the room — you will nonverbally indicate that you don’t want to be there, that you aren’t really committed to your message, or that you have something to hide. (Tip: To improve your eye contact, make a practice of noticing the eye color of everyone you meet.)

4. Lower your vocal pitch: When you are anxious or nervous, your vocal pitch tends to rise. Before talking with your boss, allow your voice to relax into its optimal pitch (a technique I learned from a speech therapist) by keeping your lips together and making the sounds “um hum, um hum, um hum.” And if you are a female, watch that your voice doesn’t rise at the ends of sentences as if you are asking a question or seeking approval. Instead, when stating your opinion, use the authoritative arc, in which your voice starts on one note, rises in pitch through the sentence and drops back down at the end. One word of caution: Don’t lower your volume when you lower your pitch. When you speak too softly, your boss will judge you as tentative and uncertain – even if you’re neither.

5. Take a belly breath: Stress and anxiety can cause you to tense up, breathe shallowly, and even hold your breath. You can counter this tendency by sitting with your weight “centered” – evenly distributed on both feet and sit bones. Look straight ahead with your chin level to the floor and relax your throat. Take several deep “belly” breaths. Count slowly to six as you inhale and increase the tension in your body by making fists and tensing the muscles in your arms torso and legs. As you exhale, allow your hands, arms and body to release and relax.

6. Talk with your hands: Brain imaging has shown that a region called Broca’s area, which is important for speech production, is active not only when we’re talking, but when we wave our hands. Since gesture is integrally linked to speech, gesturing as you talk can actually power up your thinking. Whenever I encourage clients to incorporate gestures into their deliveries, I consistently find that their verbal content improves. Experiment with this and you’ll find that the physical act of gesturing helps you form clearer thoughts and speak in tighter sentences with more declarative language. (Tip: An especially powerful gesture is the “steeple” — in which the tips of your fingers touch, but the palms are separated. If you find yourself fiddling with your jewelry or picking at your cuticles, try replacing that nervous gesture with a steeple.)

2. angelOnEarth

angelOnEarth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hehe Good to know! If I could just add one tip, Be very convincing. :)

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A better tip would be tell the truth and not to lie at all :)

4. Shivam

Shivam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HAHA... that would be a straight way to go @ fergal

I would have to agree with you angel. @ angel

5. simojohn258

simojohn258
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think its better to tell truth otherwise be confident in front of your boss and make eye contact with your boss so that he feel you telling true.

6. marriott

marriott
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, with eye contact and confidence you can easily convince your boss:)

7. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow.... amazing wonderful points you have written in a simple way. Thanks a lot. and yes, if we have confidence in our work and discipline then no need to fear at all.

8. Dexterbell

Dexterbell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't tell a lie to anybody its a wrong thing.

9. zunick

zunick
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Telling lie is a wrong thing but some times there would be some any circumstances due to which any one tells lie and the situation vary from person to person or time too. But however these are some great tricks which you have shared.

10. Vajna

Vajna
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lol, yes, I totally agree on that. I mean truth comes soon or a later. :D

11. Maik619

Maik619
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are good lies and there are bad lies. Well so they say. :p
    I think that it's worth telling a lie if it helps someone out.

12. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal is right. Why would I lie? I would rather tell the truth Else I may slip to further issues if caught. If the boss is really bitchy then, Lies can be alternative. :p

13. kobyparsons

kobyparsons
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hehehehe, nice to know about that, but why we need to lie? From the first place we are a employee, and he/she is our boss, so why we need to do that?

14. sanjuk61

sanjuk61
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like to read these off topic tips but it's look like funny tips. he he he :laugh: