301 vs302

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by saniathomas, Apr 1, 2011.

1. saniathomas

saniathomas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Recently i had a discussion with one of my colleague about 301 and 302 re-directs.
    I also want to share/ discuss this thing here also.
    According to me 301 is a permanent redirect which is Search Engine Friendly redirect. 302 is a Temporary re-direct which is not search engine friendly. Now question is that I believe that 302 opens on the browser only and some scripting language is used and i also believe that Crawler do not read scripting language that is why the link is neither index nor cached through that re-direct. And my colleagues point is that the link is crawled and indexed and cached by the crawler but Google do not give advantage of it.

Please share your views about this and please do provide some links also where we can read about it properly to clear our doubts.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

3. dripworld

dripworld
    uix_expand uix_collapse

4. Ambi

Ambi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

301 redirect is SEO friendly and Google says it transfers the authority and PR of the page(which is redirected) to the new page within 2 months.

5. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey! you are right here that 301 redirection is permanent redirection which is SEO friendly and 302 is temporary redirection method. However I am not sure that with 302 redirection, crawler can cache and crawl page or not.

But this is important discussion and I also want correct answer now. Anyone?

6. saniathomas

saniathomas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes you are right but my concern is that whether Google will index and cache those pages which are temporary redirected. Suppose i submit one article with back links on a Article website. After submitting i found that there is a temporary re-direct on the article back links. We Google Bot will crawl those back links or not. Is it worth submitting article over those websites because we submit articles to get back links. Will Google consider them as back links ?

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Matt Cutts from Google says it can.

"Now let’s talk about off-domain 302 redirects. By definition, those are redirects from one domain A.com to another domain B.com that are claimed to be temporary; that is, the web server on A.com could always change its mind and start showing content on A.com again. The vast majority of the time that a search engine receives an off-domain 302 redirect, the right thing to do is to crawl/index/return the destination page (in the example we mentioned, it would be B.com)"​

Redirects direct a page URL to another URL. E.g. http://businessadviceforum.com (without the "www") to http://www.businessadviceforum.com. I don't believe it can be applied to an individual link within a page of content. Do you have a link to an example of what you are asking about? Also have a look at the Matt Cutts post that I linked to above.