301 Redirect to move the whole domain to a new one

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by linerrobert, Jun 29, 2010.

1. linerrobert

linerrobert
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am planning to move my entire domain to the new one. I have thought of using 301 Redirect, wherein the old domain will permanently redirect all traffic and visitors to a new domain. Before I start with the work, I want to know if the medium is well established. Will I get the back links? I also would like to know if it is advisable to redirect the site to a non-indexed domain. Can you suggest if it is better to redirect the new to old one for smooth indexing of sub-pages? Will I get good SERPs? Or there are chances of decrease in ranking.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Implementing a 301 redirect should work fine for your site. You will still get recognition for the backlinks and you should not be penalised in anyway by the search engines. This previous discussion here on Business Advice Forum has a lot of useful information on the topic, that you should find helpful - Changing Domain: Will it do better?

3. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Redirecting a domain through 301 Redirect will not make any difference. You will get all your Backlinks and PR back after sometimes when sometime. But, the main problem it will create is it will take some time in getting index that is because it will be counted as a new domain in Google.

4. Aquarezz

Aquarezz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great answer from Fergal, another thing is Will.Spencer from NetBuilders.Org redirected his big site Tech-Faq.Com to TopBits.Com and he still has the same positions in Google, just with another domain ;)