3 Ways Of Tracking The Success Of Your Website

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by John BusinessPlan, Jun 8, 2010.

1. John BusinessPlan

John BusinessPlan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Many businesses have websites that are undervalued. Your website could be regarded as the best sales person you have after all your website puts in 24 hour days, 7days a week all year round. The problem with websites is that many businesses fail to measure the effectiveness of their website once they start getting visitors from the search engines so here are 3 simple ways to do this:

Get a good stats package - It amazes me that some people don't have a website statistics package or don't look at it. A decent website statistics package will tell you where your visitors are coming from and what they are doing to find your site. If you look at this closely you can then look to make it easier for these people to find you.

Use a telephone number that is unique to your website - Many businesses put on their standard telephone number. If you use a unique telephone number such as a Toll free or 0800 number you can track exactly how many people are finding your website and then calling you from just the site rather than any of your advertising material.

Email forms - Adding an email form to your website is a great way of tracking what is coming through the website and in many cases you can give email forms that are on different pages, different names so you can work out which page resulted in an enquiry.

I hope you find this information useful and consider some of these options for your website.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

John, do you feel that the stats provided in cPanel hosting accounts are good enough, or should webmasters also use an additional stats package?

3. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I there still a problem with ringing 0800 numbers from outside the UK?

For website statistics packages we still use Urchin but when I get my act together I will add Google Analytics as it is free.

4. John BusinessPlan

John BusinessPlan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All statistics packages have their benefits and drawbacks so it depends on what you're trying to monitor. cPanel statistics packages like Awstats give a lot of useful information on visitor numbers and other sites that have sent visitors which is typically enough for most of us.

If you want to track how visitors are moving through your site then using Google Analytics on your site can be a great advantage. However Analytics can have some issues as the code is run on the page and can throw up a lot of inconsistencies that you don't get with server based stats packages.

In short it is probably a good idea for webmasters to add both to their site and use Analytics to monitor what users are doing on the site and use server based stats for monitoring number of visitors and keyphrases.

5. John BusinessPlan

John BusinessPlan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Lingua21,

As far as I'm aware there are still issues with calling an 0800 number from outside of the UK. This tends to come down to the operators charging the call at a premium rate so if your website deals internationally, then it would probably be worth setting up individual websites for each country.

If you are looking to contact a company in the UK from outside then I would look for other options. Sometimes you can find an International phone number on the contacts page but failing that you could contact the company by email and attempt to get a direct number to the person you want to speak to.

6. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As someone within the UK I find 0800 numbers a real pain. Most of my non-work calls are made from my mobile phone, and on mobile networks you have to pay to dial 0800 whereas normal numbers are free within my minutes allowance.

That means 0800 don’t save me money, they actually cost. Given the choice I would avoid calling an 0800 if another business had a normal landline option.

7. John BusinessPlan

John BusinessPlan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is one of the problems with 0800 numbers. There is also an issue with calling 0800 numbers from outside the UK. However the call management software that comes with them makes 0800 numbers great for monitoring marketing.

8. pwsolutions

pwsolutions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the success of your site is directly proportional to the overall conversion of the site.

9. davelampord

davelampord
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It all depends on what exactly you are trying to monitor as all statistics packages have their individual benefits and limitations. Information on visitor numbers is given well by Awstats.

10. drickparker

drickparker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It all depends on what exactly you are trying to monitor as all statistics packages have their individual benefits and limitations. Information on visitor numbers is given well by Awstats.

11. williamgrey

williamgrey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can opt for cPanel statistics packages like Awstats. You will get useful information on visitor numbers and other sites that have sent visitors to you.

12. charlesying

charlesying
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi

certainly statistics packages like Awstats are the best

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If your office has multiple phone lines that roll down (line 1 is busy, line 2 rings), you can advertise line 4 on your website. or use line 4 and 6 on different pages to see what triggers more calls. Just remember to have to receptionist note which line is ringing if your phone system doesn't have distinctive ring per line.

14. jeffs

jeffs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is so interesting that you can track which pages get the most form completions. Plus creating a unique phone number tied to the website would be great for a business that closes sales offline. So you could say, this % of web visitors called the unique phone number during month of June. Out of the phone callers, this % converted into sales. Then you could come up with a phone calls/conversion ratio. Thanks for the advice!

15. johndavid123

johndavid123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello

Getting visitors from the search engines is quite tough that you need to make your site popular that will be having a Crawler based website that means less Flash Less Images Less Pictures, and more Content..this is one from my side..