2 businesses with the SAME name.

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by tHai9, Jul 17, 2012.

1. tHai9

tHai9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was wondering, whats the lowdown on 2 businesses having the same name.
    Say there is a big software company called "Thomas Software". They sell and outsource software. They have offices in 4 different states and one oversea. They have been in business say..20 years.

Then say locally in Miami, there is a business called "Thomas Media", thomas media designs websites,seo marketing,and web development. would there be a conflict there, cease and desist...worse case scenario? But they aren't really in the same market right? although both have online presence

2. stocklii

stocklii
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2 business :sama name

What i want to know first is if you know each other , so that you join your efforts or one may change the domain for example the former may use .com and the latter .org

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I don't see a problem. As you said, they're not in the same market. Also, "Thomas" is very common name, not readily identifiable with a product or service. Also, the colors and design of your packaging(if any), logo and website would be different enough so that no one could mistake one for the other. Stocklii's suggestion is also a good one, although "ThomasSoftware.com" and "ThomasMedia.com" are obviously different.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thousands of businesses have the exact same names. It just depends on what governing body they are registered with, and that they are registered to different ones. In the US, each State's Secretary of State office (or Division of Corporations) is the one who businesses file with. You can have a comany named X Inc registered in California, and another company registered as X Inc as well in Nevada.

• Like Like x 1
  5. StewardHill

StewardHill
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is nothing to be worried about, I think. Can you imagine how many Thomas Software's is in the WHOLE world ? Only in my home town there are two family laundry shops having the same name without being inter-connected in any sense.

6. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the example don't have any problems since Thomas Software and Thomas Media is different from each other. I'm not familiar though with how different states in the US do this. Although I think there will still have a problem if [email protected] said is true.

7. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Confusion from consumers / client sides. Maybe your could either add something to your business name to make it more unique and separate the possible similarity of "Software" and "Media" from people who are not that aware of it.