16 yo Needs Business Help and Advice

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Adam1995, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Adam1995

Adam1995
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Everyone,

I am a 16 year old, straight A, honors high school student whose first language was Polish due to the fact that both of my parents immigrated from Poland. I'm not exactly sure why, but business has always fascinated me-I can't picture myself doing anything else in the future. I guess it may have to do with the fact that I enjoy traveling and meeting new people, and, of course, the income factor. Unfortunately, there seems to be noone around me who has similar interests or who could give me some business/future related advice, and thus I decided that I would just put all of my thought and energy into school for now. However, last night, I read an article on young entrepreneurs who earned their first millions already at my age. Though the article fascinated me, it also frightened me because it made me realize that if I don't take action soon, by the time I finish school, it may be too late. I figured that since I don't know anyone around me who could help me out, my best bet would be to turn to the Internet community. This is the reason why I am writing on here. I'm turning to the members of this forum for some help and advice. Anything would help, honestly. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could introduce me to the business world and what it is really all about. If you know of any books that could help me out, please let me know. I would also appreciate any advice regarding colleges and education that would help me become a successful businessman. As a sidenote, I currently have a business idea which involves the exportation of a US product to Europe, however I don't know much about the process of doing such a thing and obviously don't have the money to do it. However, I would love to establish a connection with someone experienced and discuss this idea with them. I hope that this forum will allow me to find the information and people necessary for the fulfillment of my dream. I greatly appreciate all replies.
    Sincerely,
    Adam

2. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Adam, and welcome to the BAF Community.

It's great that you're at such a young age and already know what and where you want to go in life. This is very rare, so you're already one step ahead.

Let me take this time to ask you a few personal questions that may be able to help me help you.

1. What country do you live in? What major city are you closest near?
    2. What can you tell right now in your life that you are passionate about?
    3. How much research have you done relating to General business and the practices of this?

The second question is by far the most important one you'll need to answer, and it generally is also the hardest to answer. Money comes with time, experience, and knowledge, and that is the case 99% of the time. However, most people go into business trying to find what the most profitable product, service, or even business in general is when they have absolutely no interest in that field.

Choosing business is a step, but you got to also keep in mind that business is in everything. So you can still work with exactly what you love to do from a business side. Try to find something you love doing and are extremely passionate about, and then start building from there. Money will always help, but it isn't everything. So finding something you like is of great importance so you don't later get discouraged down the road.

3. Adam1995

Adam1995
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for taking interest in my post! I guess I'll get right down to trying to answer your questions.

1) I live in the Eastern US. It's funny that you ask about major cities because last week I actually realized that there is much opportunity around me when I went to Boston as a Labor Day trip with my father. I live in Connecticut, so I would have to say that the closest major cities to me are Boston, MA and New York City, NY. Also, during the summer I got to Poland for 2 months almost every year to visit family (most of my family lives there). Due to having a family dispersed throughout some of Poland's major cities, I am able to go and live anywhere I'd like between Gdansk (northern Poland), Krakow (Southern Poland), and Katowice (Southern Poland, 1 hour from Krakow).
    2) This one really is a hard one because I have been trying to answer it to myself for quite some time now. Throughout my life, I have been focusing mostly on simply doing good in school. However, my interest in business comes from traveling to Poland (I say this because when I go there I'm always in major cities and see a lot of business going on, while in the US I live in a more rural area and unfortunately don't get to see much of anything, except when I rarely go on a trip as in the case of last week). However, for some reason, when I see businessmen I always get that that is what I would like to be. I enjoy traveling and meeting people...Hopefully this answers the question, if not, maybe there's something more specific you could ask?
    3) I haven't done much research relating to General business as I am not sure where to start. Currently I am in a economics class in school, but I'm not sure how much it will actually teach me. My school requires a year in a business class in order to graduate, so next year I will be taking a business management class (it didn't fit into my schedule this year). If you could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it very much.

Once again, thanks for replying.
    -Adam.

4. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Adam. Wow- how ambitious you are for a 16 year old. I would say that at the age you are don't be worried about making your millions just yet and certainly don't let it rule your life. Money makes living easier but it doesn't bring happiness. You have plenty of time to make money but at this age you shouldn't be worrying about this.

5. Adam1995

Adam1995
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for replying td2011,
    I realize that money isn't everything. However, since I am already a junior in high school, I would like to start getting a grip on where where/what type of college I should look into and what I would like to do in the future. I enjoy philosophy, however, I realize that there are not too many job options/opportunities out there regarding this subject. ThereforE, I have decided to treat my interests in philosophy as a hobby rather than a source of future income. I feel that business would allow me to do what I enjoy (traveling/ meeting new and interesting people), while also persuing other interests on the side. If you could give me further advice, it would much appreciated.
    Thanks for taking interest.
    -Adam