16 Ways I Promote My Website

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by rdcclu, Sep 28, 2010.

1. rdcclu

rdcclu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With billions of websites, how do I promote my website to help people find me? This is the question I hear most often from professionals and small business owners. It is a very important question. More than 85% of people looking for a business use internet search. Being found should be a top priority for every business.

The vast majority of people who say, "I need to know how to promote my website" think they already know how. Most of them actually do not know how to promote a site. And the question should actually be more specific. The correct question is: How do I promote my website in order to rank in the top ten results on the search engines?

More than 60 billion searches are performed online every month. Only 3% of those searches click beyond page one of the search results. Now that Google (at least) is including live social search results as well, ranking in the top ten for a keyword is essential.

How Do I Promote My Website to Rank on Page One?

Effective website promotion requires a combination of tactics. You can either manage the campaigns yourself, hire a marketing firm to do everything for you, or you can work with various contract and freelance experts who will provide the expertise you need in various areas of your marketing plan. Only you can evaluate the balance between time and money: what do you have the time and knowledge to do and what can you afford to outsource. The way I promote my website might be different from the way you promote your website.

What are the Best Tactics to Promote My Website?

This is also a question I hear frequently. Here are the tactics I use to promote my website and that I believe will serve you well in promoting yours.

- A professionally-built and designed website

- Keyword Research

- Site SEO

- PPC ads on search engines

- Effective social media campaign, to build interest and to build incoming links to your site

- Blog actively (and include lots of links to your site)

- Internal site links

- Content development plan

- Article marketing

- Media relations campaign and regular press releases

- Submit your site to appropriate online directories and search engines

- Optimal use of local search

- Effective landing pages

- A lead generation strategy

- Lead management system

- Create lead bait – write or create free items that people will sign up to receive.

Once you master these tactics you will know how to "promote my website." If you can learn how to do each of these tasks, or find someone who knows what they are doing, and you can weave these together into an integrated marketing and sales strategy – don’t forget sales – you will be well on your way to driving quality traffic to your site. This is the best advice I can offer when you ask me, "How do I promote my website?"

2. navast2010

navast2010
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it is wonderful article. i get much knowledege in the article. i am a seoer, so the article is useful to me, thanking for your sharing.

3. TransChinaMedia

TransChinaMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for sharing @rdcclu!
    Could you please elaborate on "A lead generation strategy" and "Lead management system"?

4. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will be quite honest, this is one of the best posts I've read on BAF and rdcclu should be heartily thanks and congratulated for posting it.

The internet really is one of the quickest and cheapest ways to market your business now, maybe the best, especially for small businesses.

The reason why I'm happy with this is that many people are spending lots of their marketing budget on an online campagin and being told by "experts" how complex the whole thing is. It is not that easy of course, but it is not as complicated as they make it seem.

To give an example plumbers/electricians are known for laughing at clients who they charge a fortune for fixing small problems which they - the client - could have fixed quite easily in a short time.

However this is not to say that there really are some good SEO engineers out there who know their stuff and are worth their fees.

5. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice article, showing clearly some points to be viewed as most as possible.

6. SissyBard

SissyBard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO

SEO techniques constantly change since google's indexing policies constantly change. What is your current method for dealing with frequently used search terms?

7. rdcclu

rdcclu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

TransChinaMedia--

Sure, I'll try.

A lead generation strategy is almost step #1. It entails creating a page (opt-in page, squeeze page, lead capture page--they all mean the same thing), the sole purpose being to capture the visitor's contact information. This is normally done by offering something of (high) value like a free report, e-course, video, white paper, etc. in exchange for their name and email address.

There are ways to set this page up to get the most opt-ins. Split testing will help increase the opt-in percentage over time. Start with testing various free offers and the headline. Only change one thing at a time.

When they opt-in, they go into an autoresponder series that gives you the opportunity to market to them over and over. The content of the follow up emails should be 2/3 good information with no selling and 1/3 selling.

Once you have the lead, that's when a lead management system takes over. The autoresponder itself is one in itself, although very simple. Ultimately, you want a lead management system that is on auto-pilot that keeps in touch with prospects, has the ability to segment the original list into sub-lists according to interests and also function as a contact management system. There are quite a few options on the market, but just to give you one so you can see what all a lead management system potentially can do, go check out http://www.officeautopilot.com/

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

9. rdcclu

rdcclu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally, I avoid them.

I believe every page on a web site should be optimized for a single keyword. This keyword is one that has a decent amount of searches per day (i.e. 100) and has a low number of competing pages (i.e under 100,000, but the lower the better).

So even though these keywords aren't the most-searched for terms, you are at least fighting battles that you have a chance of winning.

If you come up with an answer to Google's fickleness, let me know and we'll bottle it, sell it and retire to a South Sea island.

No, OfficeAutoPilot is much more sophisticated than my simple needs. I reference it only as an example.

The same company, however, also has another simpler product, SendPepper, which is meant to compete with autoresponders such as AWeber, etc. One really neat thing they have is the ability to send PURL postcards, which are postcards with the recipient's name in the URL they are asked to click on as the call to action. The curiosity factor increases the open rate big time.

To answer your question in advance, no, I have not used this either yet, but have done a thorough evaluation and intend to use it in the future.

#9 rdcclu, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
  10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Bob, http://www.sendpepper.com/ really does look great and I do like the idea of those PURL's. I know that I'd be almost definitely click on one of those if I received the post card. I've bookmarked the site for future reference.

11. marylucyking

marylucyking
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Blog actively (and include lots of links to your site)
    can you give me more information?

i hear all of this ...but not very familiar with them ....or can't use them very well...

12. Komputergeek

Komputergeek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanx for posting all 16 strategies of web promotion. They are very helpful.

between can you please elaborate "A lead generation strategy" point in detail because this is something new to me. How can we promote our website with this?

Thank you.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

He means that you need to regularly update your blog as much as possible. If possible, do it everyday and if you don't have enough time, you can do that at least twice or trice a week. And build backlinks on related sites.

14. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

TransChinaMedia already asked Bob to elaborate on that and he kindly did, KomputerGeek. I think you may have overlooked that in the thread. :)

15. kathleenrivero

kathleenrivero
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use most of them and they're really superb. But then, you need to make absolutely sure that you do things the right way. SEO is hard work. But the rewards are great.

16. TechNews

TechNews
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the tips :)

17. xVertii

xVertii
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great article. Some ways I have done..some helped.