12,000 Visitors and No Sales?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by gothicpandemic, Jan 3, 2013.

1. gothicpandemic

gothicpandemic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hard to believe (for me, anyway) - I launched my online store, gothicpandemic.com, a month ago and have received that traffic from the Facebook page on Goth culture that my husband manages (60,000 likes so far). We "sell" goth clothing, shoes and accessories. I've been getting plenty of ad clicks, but no sales.

Stats:

They typically view four pages per visit.
    They typically stay for about two minutes.
    My bounce rate is about 40% (that was when I had news on my home page - I've just changed it so my shop is the home page to see if that makes a difference).

If more experienced folks could take a look at my site and critique what might be off, you would have my undying appreciation!

Cheers,
    Linn

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I went to your site, and to be honest was not very impressed. The most prominent feature is the ads on the right side. Other than that, all you have on the homepage is two pictures, one with the heading "Girls" and the other with the heading "Guys". They supposedly link to another page within the site, but when I click on them, I don't go anywhere - I remain on the home page! The "About" page doesn't go anywhere, only to a blank page.
    Once you've found and fixed the problems with the links on your home page, I would definitely add more SE friendly content to the home page (search your desired keyword phrases and take a look at your competitor's websites for ideas) and make the ads on the right less prominent. You're also going to need a physical address and a phone number, placed in small print on the bottom of each page, and displayed more prominently on the "Contact" page - people are suspicious, and usually rightly so, of a website that only has email as a contact method.

• Like Like x 2
  3. gothicpandemic

gothicpandemic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Joseph.

I've applied some of your ideas and fixed the links issue. If you'd like to take another look at my shop I'd appreciate it.

You mentioned using SEO. Do you feel that Facebook traffic is not very valuable?

Cheers.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with joeroxx, you need to improve your site, before your visitors have the confidence to buy from you. When I click on the images on your home page, I expect to be brought to a page with more information on the product, instead I just see a larger version of the image.

I'm assuming the FaceBook page you mention with 60,000 Likes, is mostly followed by people who are interested in all things Goth and are hence in your target market. Have you asked for some feedback on your website on that page?

• Like Like x 1
  5. WebNet Host

WebNet Host
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry, but your shop is not too interesting. I opened it but it doesn't make me curious to visit the products. It looks like an empty shop.

6. gothicpandemic

gothicpandemic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the input guys. I've made some suggested changes - I have contact info (address/phone) at the bottom of every page and on my Contact page, and images in the blog now link to their respective products pages. I've also created a "New Items" page and a sidebar with new items.

I have asked for feedback on the Facebook page, but I've only heard fairly simple feedback like "you don't have British pounds" or "you don't have guys' stuff" (which I now do). And yes, the Facebook page is all about Goth culture.

If you would be kind enough to look at my Shop page and individual product pages, I would love to hear your thoughts on what might be missing there.

Thanks so much,
    Linn

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I took a look at your site today, and it's much better today. I have requested a preliminary analysis for your site, and will PM you with the results when I get them. As far as using Facebook, that is only one avenue for you to use. The advantage, as Fergal pointed out, is you can target people interested in Goth, and therefore are more likely to purchase from you when they want to make purchase. If, on the other hand, someone is on Google searching, for example, "goth clothing online", they are ready to buy! I should point out that I used the phrase I did as an example, I honestly don't know if people searching the specific phrase mentioned are actually ready to buy. More research would tell you which specific phrases to pursue. But the point can still be made, someone searching on the SEs are more likely to buy than friends on Facebook - although using Facebook means that some of those 60,000 followers may eventually become customers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To make sales you need at least these 3 things:

3 Things You Will Need At Minimum In Order To Make A Sale

1) Targeted traffic
    2) The right offer
    3) Customer trust

If you don’t have one of those three things then the sale won’t happen. Let’s look at all 3 of those things more closely in relation to your site.

1) Targeted traffic – Okay you are getting "slightly" targeted traffic because you know that the people who are visiting your site from Facebook are at least a little bit interested in Goth clothing. However, those people you are getting visits from in Facebook are not ready to make a purchase the minute they arrive at your site. They are just there to check your site out. If you impress them enough, then maybe a week from now or month from now or six months from now (whenever they are shopping for new Goth clothes) then maybe they will come back to your site. But, even then, it is a big maybe.

There are other ways that you can get even better targeted traffic. For instance, suppose you purchase Google Adwords ads for keywords like “gothic clothes for sale” or “discounted gothic clothes”. Those keywords represent people who are ready to make a buying decision today. So if you get them to go to your site, then you are getting the “most targeted” traffic possible. There are probably many different keywords you could target to get “highly targeted” traffic.

You could use SEO to get certain pages on your site to rank well for certain “buyer keywords” like the ones I mentioned in the previous paragraph. That way you are getting “better targeted” traffic that way.

You could use a variety of different tactics to deliver traffic that is more "highly targeted" to your site.

Facebook in my experience is not great for delivering highly targeted traffic that is ready to buy. In my experience, Facebook is best used in conjunction with some other form of marketing. One example would be to use Facebook to drive traffic to a contest page where people have to like the page and also input their name and email address. These email addresses are assembled into a list where you can email those people periodically to maintain contact with them. The idea is to keep your business name, your website or your brand at the forefront of their minds so that way when the time comes where they want to go shopping for goth stuff (whenever that might be) they will think to check out your site. You have to use your imagination and creativity to figure out how to do that.

Even if you are delivering targeted traffic to your site, you still need to show them.........

2) The right offer – Are you sure that your offer is good enough for your customers to want it? By offer I mean the specific product, the quality of it and the price of it. Maybe goth people tend to buy a specific garment more so than others. Do you offer that garment? How do your prices compare to other places? Would your prospects view your products as fair priced, under priced or over priced? Is your pricing affecting their decision about whether or not to purchase? What about your product quality? Would they perceive it as being low quality, average quality or above average quality? How is that influencing their decision? What other factors about your products can you think of that might influence their decision about whether or not to buy?

If you want to make sales, then you want to present the perfect offer to the prospect. Show them exactly what they are looking for at a price that they think is attractive and deliver it to them in a way that they prefer.

3) Trust – Even if you have targeted traffic and you are presenting the right offer to your prospect, you still need one other ingredient to get them to purchase. You need to gain their trust. And online shoppers’ trust is a very fragile object. People aren’t afraid to buy from Amazon.com because Amazon.com has a pristine track record of selling quality goods, delivering them as expected and also taking care of any issues that arise due to quality or delivery.

A small unknown online store doesn’t have the public track record that Amazon.com has. So you have to compensate for it by doing little things that help build trust. Some of those little things include providing a believable “no hassle money back guarantee”. Other things can be done such as – showing logos for Visa, Mastercard, Paypal or whatever. If your site uses a secure shopping cart, then you want to advertise that your transactions are all secured over a 256 bit encryption. If you use verisign then advertise that. If you belong to Better Business Bureau, use their logo. If you use McAfee security to scan your website for security threats then be sure to advertise that. If you add a live chat to your site, that can increase your trust. If you publish testimonials that can increase trust. If you post reviews of products that can increase trust. There are many little things that you can do to increase a person’s trust in your site ever-so slightly with each one. If you get enough of them, then you build enough trust to complete the sale.

Running an online business is way harder and more complicated than any new person thinks. I bet you are beginning to realize that.

• Like Like x 2
  9. gothicpandemic

gothicpandemic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is great stuff, guys. I've added some new features (credit card/"trust" logos and currency converter) and am planning a site survey with a small gift card bonus. Thank you so much and I welcome any more feedback you might have.

10. BacklinksInc

BacklinksInc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The website is starting to look nice. Next I would change the layout of the products on the front page. Also you have no meta description or keywords. Other than that good job!

11. gothicpandemic

gothicpandemic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

I'm not sure what you mean. At the moment, I have news on my home page. Are you suggesting I put the shop on the home page?

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

Wordpress and Orderstorm.

12. Wordpress is a decent platform for CMS pages but I would highly recommend looking at Magento for ecommerce. Magento is a CMS with a lot of built in SEO features and a strong product cataloging system that will give you great search engine rankings when used properly.

I'm not trying to imply that you need to redo your entire site, but I think your going to struggle on this platform.

My suggestions are taken strictly from my experience in ecommerce and do not reflect the opinions of Talkroute

13. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This happen mainly due to few reason
    1. Non-targeted traffic.
    2. Purchase button / link not friendly
    3. the product is not attractive and/or the price is too high

14. smo9marketing

smo9marketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you're driving all your traffic from Facebook pages and Ads...

Sorry... 81% of traffic from Facebook are fake. They are robots.

You've got to create filters in your ad and pages prefs to weed them out.

15. gothicpandemic

gothicpandemic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm, this is news to me. Can you provide me with more information (an article)?

16. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am surprising the site manage to get 12K visitor. Beside analyst the bounce rate, few thing to be take alert on Google analytics report. New VS return visitor, usually new visitor more on window shopping, hardly generate revenue and conversion, you need be very sure which is the top exist page, click rate on each navigation.

Quick solution:
    1. Simply purchase a premium theme could help you improve overall design and user experience.
    2. User some tool to test the site, e.g. http://whatusersdo.com/

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The background colour is bothersome, it makes your website look like a cheap affiliate site. Your items are nice but not displayed well. I would make the shop look more like Amazon or eBay and outline the prices without having to click deeper.

• Like Like x 1