10 Ways to Get Banned by the Search Engines

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by GekiDan, Jan 13, 2010.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you build your website, you, of course, want to get high rankings in the search engines. There are lots of ways to do this and lots of ways to NOT do this. Below are 10 things to avoid if you want to be in good standing with the search engines.

1. Duplicate Content/Sites
    2. Cloaking
    3. Linking to Bad Neighborhoods
    4. Title Stacking
    5. Doorway Pages
    6. Redirect Pages
    7. Automated Submission Services
    8. Hidden Links
    9. Keyword Stuffing
    10. Invisible Text

Be careful not to use these Black Hat SEO methods because it could cause you a lot of trouble with the search engines. Be careful as well, who you hire to work on your site because some of these things can be done without your knowledge and cause your site to get banned or penalized.

Source: http://www.helpingwebmasters.com/seo-forum/10-ways-to-get-banned-by-the-search-engines-t5310.0.html

#1 GekiDan, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  2. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good listing. Before I talk about each of them, I was just wondering if someone copy/paste a source (Duplicating) then it may have impact. I didn't see there would be ban for it too?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good list and anyone who wants to rank well in the search engines should avoid these tactics. If you believe that anything you are doing is tricking the search engines in some way, you are probably best not doing it.

[Moving thread to Online Business forum!]

4. mggc

mggc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I definitely agree with all of this.

I personally think that we should give good credits for search engines and how they manage their ways of knowing who deserves to be on top of their list.

If you really want to be first on the PR then you should also work hard for it. Anyway, SEO success is not done overnight. :)

5. lentrepot

lentrepot
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The tips are very helpful for planning out an SEO campaign. We must bear in mind that SEO shouldn't be done overdone because it could result to penalizing and banning of websites.

6. ethan1066

ethan1066
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i have read your article about the black hat seo activites and i found that you have repeated some activities like the cloaking and keyword stuffing is the same thing and what is the difference between the doorway pages and the redirect pages whar i think they are the same.... and can you please explain the term automated submission services....anyhow thanks for yoor tips...

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Copy paste content is a big debate if ever it's penalized or not.
    Honestly, I see lots of sites which have copy and paste content.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's unlikely that you will get banned for copying and pasting content, provided you are not breaching anyone's copyright. However, the search engines will penalise you for copied content and your site will not rank as highly as a site with original content.

9. Hansh

Hansh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mirror sites just means you end up losing link juice but I don't think you get banned for mirror sites... however, the crawlers might end up not crawling your mirror website because it sees it as a duplicate of something its seen before.

10. Clinton

Clinton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's ironic that a post which starts by disclosing the risks of duplicate content is itself a duplicate ;)

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point Clinton, the OP has linked to the source in the post and some of the duplicate content has been removed, to summarise the article.

12. sh02

sh02
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is so much conflicting data about what will and what won’t get you "banned". I use the simple idea that if someone else can do it to your site the search engines will not penalize you.

Imagine all you had to do was direct a whole bunch of bad links to your competitor’s site to get them banned.............

Overall all though, if you just do the right thing, post good quality content that people love you will eventually find success.

13. Clinton

Clinton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd be careful with making such assumptions. Google's guidelines used to state that there was nothing a competitor could do to get you banned. They changed to wording now to "almost nothing". One word. Big difference in meaning.

It's pretty easy to get a competitor's site banned, especially a smaller site without the reputation of microsoft.com or bbc.co.uk.

14. Sshadow

Sshadow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What about things like RSS feeds. I use alot of them in my forum now. Would that be considered duplicate content?

Also what is Title Stacking and Keyword Stuffing?

15. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think RSS feeds are still a wonderful thing that have revolutionized the way many people read news since couple years ago. Even SEs and other news-related websites syndicate their news contents as an RSS Feed to whoever wants it although there are limitations to providing attributions in connecting with these RSS feeds.

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keyword stuffing is used to describe an article that is overcrowded or spammed with your primary keyword. Here's an example:

17. sh02

sh02
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thats really interesting, never new google changed the wording "alomost nothing" what a joke. Thanks for the info Clinton.

18. gregbraddy

gregbraddy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With black hat, you'll have higher chances that search engines penalize of ban your site. Remember, participate only on the white hat tactics.

19. flora

flora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These are the techniques that falls under black hat SEO. You'll have higher chances that Google and other search engines penalize or ban your site when engaging on the black hat tactics.

20. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very informative tips. Actually I was one of the victim before. I have this SEO person who actually do the listing on my site. At first I'm impressed because i see the movement of my site on page rank, but after few weeks it gives me a lot of crap. I just found out that he is not doing his job on the time that we've agreed, aside from that he makes a lot of mistake including my address and other important details. Well this is a lesson on my part. Don't hired any person who do not have enough knowledge on this method so that your company won't put into risk.. Good tips though..