10 Traits of Successful Over-achievers

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Webestrian, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are You a Successful Over-achiever?Check it out.

Here i list the key characteristics that have been found to be part of the makeup of all successful over-achievers:

1. Powerful need to achieve

2. Perseverance

3. Positive mental attitude

4. Objectivity

5. Foresight

6. Well-developed personal relations skills

7. Strong communication skills

8. Resourcefulness

9. Technical knowledge

10. A respectful attitude towards money

So how many of these features do you have?:)

Source:Extract of an article from http://worldwebportal.co.cc

#1 Webestrian, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I scored about half there. :) But at least I answered honestly. :D

Good post, Webestrian!

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An interesting list. I do however, feel that it is missing one very important attribute, perhaps it is covered under perseverance, but I'd call it focus. The ability to be single minded about your task and to concentrate on it fully for long periods of time, is crucial to success.

Lance Armstrong writes about this in one of his books. He says that really successful people are very different from each other. But the one characteristic that they all share is the ability to focus for long periods of time.

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I only scored 4 out of 10. What about discipline? Will it also fall under perseverance or probably it falls under objectivity. Sometimes we fail to succeed because of lack of discipline. We let our emotions rule our actions and decisions especially during hard times.

Speaking of Lance Armstrong, I think he's one of the people that we should try to emulate. His focus and determination are what made him a legend in cycling.

5. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks dude.The best thing is that you answered honestly and still leveled my score :D.Nice.
    But i am still seriously trying to improve on that objectivity trait.I feel i really need that.:rolleyes:

6. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes,focus is what i am lacking seriously but i cover that under objectivity.Most of times my heart is thinking,and my brain is beating.:D

7. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good point nazreen. I guess the writer 'Michael Brassi' missed that point or he might have rated it a bit lower or he might have covered it under any other heading.But yes it's important :)

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Webestrian ! I could not understand your meaning of the word "Over Achievers".
    Do you mean to say that these are those people who don't deserve what they have got or they have got more than they deserve ??

9. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd say that's one statement that motivated me quite a bit.

Okay back to the list, here's my evaluation :

So, I score around 6. I'll definitely try to improve.

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

scifi, I'll try explain since Webestrian's not around right now. Deserving doesn't come into it. An overachiever would be someone who despite the odds does phenomenally well at something. Here's the dictionary definition for overachieve:

1. to perform, esp. academically, above the potential indicated by tests of one's mental ability or aptitude.
    2. to perform better or achieve more than expected, esp. by others.

So an over achiever would be for example someone who rises to the top of their chosen profession despite dropping out of high school at an early age. It's a positive thing to be classed as an overachiever.

11. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So would it be right to say that likes of Michael Dell & Bill Gates are overachievers????

12. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't know much about Micheal Dell but yes Bill Gates fits in the definition for over achiever :)

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would say that without either of the above, you would not be driven and hence will not overachieve. Whereas, you could be weak on one or two of the next 8 items and still have fantastic achievements.

I also find that I am getting weaker on the first two as I get older and more settled into a certain way of life. Anyone else experience the same?

14. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you know about Dell computers Webestrian? It's one of the most successful and profitable makers of computers today. He was able to do this by selling directly to the consumers, therefore eliminating the middlemen. In doing this, he was able to sell computers at a very much cheaper price than his competitors. Now, that's what I call thinking out of the box!

Michael Dell is the founder and CEO of Dell.

The first two were actually the ones that I passed. I feel the need to achieve more because I feel that I've missed on a lot of things. Also, I persevere more especially when seeing people who are more successful than me. Maybe it's a bit of jealousy on my part but at least I'm taking it positively.

Maybe it's because you've already achieved some success, Fergal. You are on a plateau and need to be more hungry in order to keep moving forward.

15. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Nazreen had solved your query already "Who Is Michael Dell??"

16. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

(Just to reiterate since we're past the first page of this thread, the first two were 1. Powerful need to achieve and 2. Perseverance.)

Yes, I understand what you're saying Fergal. However you could look at it this way: rather than seeing that as "getting weaker", it's a strength. You're using your life experience to date to spot quicker what is and what isn't a productive use of your time to enhance your life.

I've found as I've got older, I'm quicker to cast things aside I don't truly find positive and life affirming. You don't tolerate for as long the same kinds of situations or people at 42 you would have at 22 for example. You don't persevere with a pet project if you realise it's doomed for failure because your ego says you have to. In your twenties, the idea of admitting that even to yourself is unthinkable to some.

However once you hit somewhere around the big four-oh and beyond, you're usually at a point in your life where you know the wisdom of chalking failures or misjudgments as well as successes up as life lessons. You're wise enough to know perseverance and flogging a dead horse ain't the same thing. ;)

As we get older, we see more clearly what matters. A need to achieve is commendable but do I want mine to be so powerful that it overrides everything else in my life where work and career is always the number one priority? Nope, I definitely don't but if you'd asked me that twenty years ago, I'd have said "what else is there to want in life apart from success?". :rolleyes: If I'd looked closer, I would have seen I had lots of success in my life that wasn't remotely work related.

I think being more settled in life is no bad thing, Fergal. Contentment is one thing so many strive for and never achieve. In that respect alone, you're definitely an over achiever. :)

And now a shameless plug for my blog post which is on topic here: When enough is enough, would you even know it?

I confess, this was a reminder to myself which much of my writing is and I just share posts when I think it's appropriate. :)

#16 Kay, Nov 25, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for your kind words Nazreen and Kay. I've started working on a business plan for a new project I'm looking at. I haven't spent as much time on it as I would have liked but I've been playing around with my schedule to free up more time for it. As I start to get stuck into it I'm getting more enthusiastic so hopefully this will lift me above my plateau and get me moving again.

Thanks again for your comments they were inspirational.

You can view more info on Michael Dell here. It's actually an inspiring story of how a college student who wasn't academically gifted established a hugely profitable multi-national company, in spite of a number of serious set-backs.

18. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks all for the comments.

Nice to know about Michael Dell here.I only knew him as the founder and owner of Dell.But wow,he is really an inspiration for everyone:).