10 Totally Stupid Online Business Ideas That Made Someone Rich

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by rohit_rocks, Jul 4, 2009.

1. rohit_rocks

rohit_rocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How to get rich the smart way? Read what some creative people did:

1. Million Dollar Homepage

1000000 pixels, charge a dollar per pixel – that’s perhaps the dumbest idea for online business anyone could have possible come up with. Still, Alex Tew, a 21-year-old who came up with the idea, is now a millionaire.

2. SantaMail

Ok, how’s that for a brilliant idea. Get a postal address at North Pole, Alaska, pretend you are Santa Claus and charge parents 10 bucks for every letter you send to their kids? Well, Byron Reese sent over 200000 letters since the start of the business in 2001, which makes him a couple million dollars richer. Full Story

3. Doggles

Create goggles for dogs and sell them online? Boy, this IS the dumbest idea for a business. How in the world did they manage to become millionaires and have shops all over the world with that one? Beyond me.

4. LaserMonks

LaserMonks.com is a for-profit subsidiary of the Cistercian Abbey of Our Lady of Spring Bank, an eight-monk monastery in the hills of Monroe County, 90 miles northwest of Madison. Yeah, real monks refilling your cartridges. Hallelujah! Their 2005 sales were $2.5 million! Praise the Lord. Full Story

5. AntennaBalls

You can’t sell antenna ball online. There is no way. And surely it wouldn’t make you rich. But this is exactly what Jason Wall did, and now he is now a millionaire. Full Story

6. FitDeck

Create a deck of cards featuring exercise routines, and sell it online for $18.95. Sounds like a disaster idea to me. But former Navy SEAL and fitness instructor Phil Black reported last year sales of $4.7 million. Surely beats what military pays.

7. PositivesDating.Com

How would you like to go on a date with an HIV positive person? Paul Graves and Brandon Koechlin thought that someone would, so they created a dating site for HIV positive folks last year. Projected 2006 sales are $110,000, and the two hope to have 50,000 members by their two-year mark.

8. Designer Diaper Bags

Christie Rein was tired of carrying diapers around in a freezer bag. The 34-year-old mother of three found herself constantly stuffing diapers for her infant son into freezer bags to keep them from getting scrunched up in her purse. Rein wanted something that was compact, sleek and stylish, so in November 2004, she sat down with her husband, Marcus, who helped her design a custom diaper bag that's big enough to hold a travel pack of wipes and two to four diapers. With more than $180,000 in sales for 2005, Christie's company, Diapees & Wipees, has bags in 22 different styles, available online and in 120 boutiques across the globe for $14.99.

9. PickyDomains

Hire another person to think of a cool domain name for you? No way people would pay for this. Actually, naming domain names for others turned out a thriving business, especially, when you make the entire process risk free. PickyDomains currently has a waiting list of people who want to PAY the service to come up with a snappy memorable domain name. PickyDomains is expected to hit six figures this year. Full Story

10. Lucky Wishbone Co.

Fake wishbones. Now, this stupid idea is just destined to flop. Who in the world needs FAKE PLASTIC wishbones? A lot of people, it turns out. Now producing 30,000 wishbones daily (they retail for 3 bucks a pop) Ken Ahroni, the company founder, expects 2006 sales to reach $1 million.

2. techsense

techsense
    uix_expand uix_collapse

good selection of stupid business ideas (they are really stupid or i should say funny).
    I only knew about million dollar homepage.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Excellent and interesting list. I've always been intrigued by businesses like these that make money. The ones that are profitable are generally the first to do what they are doing and who succeed in spreading the word about their website very quickly. Lots of people followed the MillionDollarHomePage idea, but they didn't have success anything like the the original.

Why do you think these ideas were successful?

What can we learn from them, for our own business ideas?

4. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for coming up with such an interesting subject, rohit_rocks. That's just to say that you shouldn't dismiss any of your crazy or stupid ideas, they might be worth a lot of money.:)

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd add Twitter to the list, I'm very surprised by their level of success. People who have not used Twitter, often say that they would never use that type of service, only to become fans once they actually start. It's difficult to see how a service that restricts you to posting 140 characters and that shows you lots of microblog posts that are of little interest or benefit to you is so successful.

6. jwhitakr

jwhitakr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Projected 2006 sales? You do know that the current year is 2009? You didn't copy&paste this from another site without giving proper credit, now did you?

Tsk, tsk ...

7. rohit_rocks

rohit_rocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

what is the information i get, i posted here to share with u peoples..

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mindblowing Ideas..stupid are not the ideas..If they tend to be stupid then all those making it success must be more stupid..But it is not so..It's the way you approach & your attitude towards a thing that matter..these different & unique( I must say, instead of "stupid") have proved their point..well done..cheers!!!:D

9. Norrad

Norrad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Twitter is great, but has it made anyone rich yet? How exactly does it make money?

10. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks rohit_rocks for the Link. Sometimes Stupidy can make you rich. It depends on luck too.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Twitter hasn't generated any revenue yet. It's value lies in the fact that it is hugely popular and attracts a reported 10 million new users every month, isn't that a phenomenal number?

It would appear that the owners haven't figured out how to generate money from all that traffic yet, but I would say that the site has still made them money based on what they could sell it for - they previously turned down an offer of $500Million to buy the company.

Imagine how much money they could make, if they did something simple like put Adsense ads in the right border area of the site or on the bottom of every page.

12. shyflower

shyflower
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is such a fun post to read. Reminded me of the "pet rock" craze back in the 70s. Who'd have thought that slapping a little paint on a rock and giving it a name would not only make it a "pet" but also be a profitable enterprise?

13. jwhitakr

jwhitakr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I didn't understand what you said.

It is obvious that you copy&pasted this from another site, and did not give credit to the source.

14. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Twitter doesn't make any money yet, but YOU can make money from it. I know a free program to subscribe that can make you some extra income from it. :)

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

16. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the looks of the site many be stupid but the brain behind these idea wasnt stupid. these are all great achievements.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Very true, these businesses would only have reached that level of success if they had good people behind them who worked hard and smart to make them successful. I'd be pretty sure that the founders all had a clear plan of where they wanted to go and what they wanted to achieve with their businesses.

18. breathingspace

breathingspace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Excellent list. Thanks for the information.

19. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will add something here - A simple idea can make you millionaire.

But, I don't assume every idea you listed are stupid. Like 1,2,8,9 aren't that stupid business, they were so created. However, the list is very interesting to read. This type of post is what I and everybody might look for. ;)

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point, I once read that good companies do two or three things really well and great companies do one thing really well. Simplicity should not be underrated. Simple ideas are easy to communicate and can be very successful.