10 Steps to HR Success

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by harjos, Jul 9, 2011.

1. harjos

harjos
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It seems that we in HR have a deep need to prevent failure and tragedy. A good trait, wouldn't you say? Indeed, being the "watch dog" in the people area and herding the flock so not too many laws a broken is a good thing.

What isn't a good thing is using the law as a taser to get management to do the right thing. Why? Because soon HR will be viewed as the enforcer with only one trait. Not good. Not good at all.

HR folks are in a unique position to have a palpable impact on the organization. They know things which come from the depths. If they are at all trusted, they can prepare for an employee's resignation, or upcoming FMLA (long before the law deems it necessary to provide the employer information). They can seal chasms and build teams. Having such inside knowledge is the benefit of playing things straight, being honest, being respectful.

It is important to enter the HR world with the belief that people want to succeed. Whether they are sweeping the floors, building a box or designing the next generation of displays, we need to believe they want to do their best. It is from that platform that all work should be done.

Does everyone want to do a good job? It seems not. Should that change your platform? No. To do so would be painting the majority with the minority's brush.

So, how does an effective HR professional move the organization to success?

· 1. Be the CEO's sounding board. Too often information leaks. If it comes from you, your career there is over.

· 2, Understand the organization's vision and goals.
    Everything the HR function does should align with the goals of the organization.

· 3, Analyze and identify HR's role in getting there.

· 4, Listen to employees.
    They are your customers and your line to success.

· 5, Do what you say you will do.
    If you fail to follow through, your credibility will be crushed. (Just because you didn't pin "I Promise" to the end of your sentence doesn't mean they won't hold you to it.)

· 6, Remember that everyone has personal problems.
    Treat them gently, help where you should, and expect the best.

· 7. Remain current in the HR disciplines.
    Laws change. Training is updated. Compensation plans vary.

· 8, Know that you are never done.
    Enough said.

· 9, Repeat the mantra:
    In every work situation, regardless of the severity of issues,
    I will approach and treat all employees with kindness and
    respect.

· 10, Repeat it again

The Human Resource challenge is a mighty one. Follow these suggestions and your chances of personal and organizational success will be extremely high.

article source: http://www.focus.com/posts/hr----become-star/

• Like Like x 1
  2. Andrew Clark

Andrew Clark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for this Info,Are you based in an organization?What are the advantages when you are in HR dept?

4. hrcanada1

hrcanada1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your thread is really great and I truly enjoyed reading it. I will be waiting for some more great information like this from you in the coming days. Thanks a lot.

5. BODHost

BODHost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Guys don't get me wrong, but according to my experience “Never go to HR for help!!! HR = HIGH RISK!!”.

6. Nancy Olson

Nancy Olson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really appreciating post.

7. AlexTuesday

AlexTuesday
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These are excellent tips to keep in mind - human resources should be one of the most important aspects of managing a company.

8. kitchie

kitchie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is this a joke or something?

9. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HR professionals are the very first ones to go should a company decide to cut cost. What would be retained are the people doing the work that contributes to the sustenance of the enterprise. They may retain a few HR people to help process necessary papers and all. Other companies outsource some HR functions I no longer see the big role HR people play now. I am not against them as I was a part of the HR before.

10. rmmfree

rmmfree
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great article. Thanks for sharing. I would add that it's important to have enough flexibility for the diversity of personal situations of each worker.