$10 Contest?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Chris Grigg, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Chris Grigg

Chris Grigg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was thinking of having a contest in order to get more users to start posting on the forum. I was thinking about a topic contest that would last for X amount of days and the members that are on the list that posted the most inside the time frame would win $10. Since I'm just now starting my job, I can not afford a big reward. But, later it will be higher amounts.

Who would be willing to participate in a $10 posting contest? I would perhaps like this to be a close competition and a lot of people be willing to do it. Since I have my orientation tomorrow for my job, I will most likely be starting my regular hours soon and I will be getting paid $9.75 an hour and I will be rewarding like $50 rewards at a later time.

Let me know your view-points!

2. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd suggest framing it in a way that it rewarded quality rather than just quantity. It's nice having big numbers, but if the quality of the posts are poor it will do you more harm than good.

3. Chris Grigg

Chris Grigg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, before reward is given out; I will be sure that all posts are good quality.

4. moneymakersites

moneymakersites
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Bring in on brother :)

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Contests are a great way of increasing activity on your forum. I agree with Paul 100% that you need to focus on quality, rather than post count. It's also worth considering non cash prizes that can be used to motivate your members. Prizes such as a custom title, a free ad on your site and recognition as an active or helpful member can work very well and they don't cost you any real money.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Paul and Fergal. I have already seen forums who run forum posting contests, based on post count, before and it end up nowhere getting 2 to 3 active posters after the contests. In increase their post counts, most members do is post non sense and spammy posts just to get the cash prize. Then, it will be your problem now to remove every spammy posts around to keep your forum clean.

Maybe you can check out Fergal's previous BAF contests in which turned out to be successful. Plus, he is only giving the prizes to the most helpful members around.

7. Chris Grigg

Chris Grigg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm unsure how Fergal has that much money to offer, but I'm no where near able to offer a prize like that. But, the twitter things seems to help out as well as the member referral contests. Thanks for the ideas.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly, I didn't tell you to give prizes to that amount. :p
    I'm just referring you to BAF's previous contests so that you can have an idea of a contest to run on your forum :)

9. rickyponting66

rickyponting66
    uix_expand uix_collapse

is the contest is still open?

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There's no ongoing contest here. The OP, Chris, is looking for ideas on starting a contest on his own forum, Exchange Point.
    And he haven't replied on the thread since last week.

11. Chris Grigg

Chris Grigg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys, sorry I haven't replied. I have been busy with my Job. This week I will get $276.75 on my paycheck. (Training hours are horrible...4 hours a day. 3 days last week. 5 days this week.)

I will take everyone's ideas into consideration.