1 in 3 laptops die in first three years

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by GekiDan, Nov 24, 2009.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The thing that one of my computer technician friend is always saying have already been proven by the experts! It is related to laptop's lives.

According to an article I recently read, 31% laptops die within three years from the day that you bought it.

And it is due to the following reasons:
    > 20.4 percent of failures are due to hardware malfunctions. 10.6 percent are due to drops, spills, or other accidental damage.

> Netbooks have a roughly 20 percent higher failure rate due to hardware malfunctions than standard laptops. The more you pay for your laptop, the less likely it is to fail in general (maybe because you're more careful with it?).

> The most reliable companies? A shocker: Toshiba and Asus, both with below a 16 percent failure rate due to hardware malfunction.

> The least reliable brands? Acer, Gateway, and HP. HP's hardware malfunction rate, the worst in SquareTrade's analysis, is a whopping 25.6 percent.

You can read more about this report on the link above or from this document.

This is to warn people who are planning to buy laptops in the future that these things really do happen.

2. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is BAD NEWS. I bought a brand new HP laptop worth $1000 just 2 months ago. I do get unexpected shut downs at times.. Shud I panic ? :(

3. blinkky

blinkky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is not something you would like to hear. Maybe that's why I'm using desktop =)

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've often considered buying a laptop, but I'm quite happy with my desktop. You can get more spec for a lower cost, with a desktop.

You should contact technical support and ask them about the problem. They may be able to resolve it and it is important to alert them, for warranty purposes.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If that happnes, you should contact your laptop's seller for warranty.
    Most retail stores offers 1 year warranty on parts while some have lifetime warranty.

6. Sprinkles

Sprinkles
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i like desktop much more

7. eelizasanchez121

eelizasanchez121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Laptops age is 4 year... working fine.

8. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If the laptop is running Windows, make sure the auto shutdowns aren't because Windows is running automatic updates. When it does this it'll automatically reboot after applying the updates.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you mean that we should turn off auto updates on Windows laptops?

10. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's a matter of preference. I prefer not to run auto updates so my laptop doesn't reboot when I don't want it to. I manually update when I'm not actively in the middle of something.

• Like Like x 1
  11. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't have a problem with the auto updates. They don't hurt anything, they just need to restart your computer after some major updates. The alternative is going into the control panel and installing all these updates manually.

It's only an issue for me because I run both Ubuntu and Windows on my computer, so when my computer restarts I get prompted to select one before it loads.

• Like Like x 1
  12. patrick.s

patrick.s
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is why I love my desktop. Something fails it's way easier to replace and cheaper.