Your Ad Here

Thread: OffTheBookShelf.com

BAF Cash
    Thanks

OffTheBookShelf.com

I've recently discovered a fairly new site called OffTheBookShelf.com via an editor friend of mine who invited me along. I think it's a very interesting idea.

It was created by writers and allows authors to build their own online bookstore free. The authors sell their books - ebooks, audiobooks and printed books- at a price they set themselves and OffTheBookShelf.com only takes a small charge for each book plus banking fees.

OffTheBookshelf only takes .80 cents per ebook and audiobook sale and 6% for banking fees. For printed books, OffTheBookshelf only takes .99 cents per book sale (this is included in the printing costs) and 6% for banking fees.
    See some examples of the fee structure here.

They also provide tools to help you create your book cover and convert your Word document to the epub format needed.

There is a one-time set-up fee of $35 for printed books to set up the book with their printer and add the barcode to your back cover. Whether you get hundreds of printed books or half a dozen, it's the same fee, paid once. Nothing extra for the ebooks or audiobooks of course.

I've spoken with Scott Weisenthal, the founder. He seems a genuinely nice guy who really wants to offer a service to writers that makes getting published within everyone's grasp and at a price and profit margin they're happy with. He's also building a social network within the site. Everyone has a profile, a blog, and access to marketing tools and a forum. Transactions are done via Paypal on both the buyers and sellers side.

There's a 60 second quick tour on the homepage and a longer webinar that goes into more detail.

http://offthebookshelf.com/

Oh, and if you want to be a star, there's a TV campaign in the pipeline. He'll be looking for a winner amongst the members to star in it.

2. Kay Thanked by:

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,518 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Thanks for sharing that with us Kay, it looks like a great resource for any self-publishing authors or aspiring writers. They also have a forum where you can discuss writing and get advice and tips for publishing your book. I've started following them on Twitter and become a fan on FaceBook.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    You're very welcome, Fergal. Yep I found the forum too and pitched in some posts myself. I've also invited Scott along here too so you may see him soon! I think it's great for anyone that even just wants to make an ebook to sell but doesn't necessarily want to go to the trouble of building a site from scratch for that.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    ...I've also invited Scott along here....
    Thanks Kay, he would be most welcome here and it would be great to see his views in this thread.

BAF Cash
    Thanks

Smile Hi, it's Scott

Thanks for inviting me to be a part of this thread. And thanks for the great shout out, Kay. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me through the support/contact section of OffTheBookshelf. (I want to be as accessible as possible to authors.) The site has truly been a labor of love, one which I hope will empower authors around the globe to get their voices heard.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Hi Scott, thanks for joining and posting on our Business Forum. Hopefully this thread has given you some publicity and I wish you the very best of luck and every success with your exciting new venture.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Looks a very interesting site. I have bookmarked that for a later date once I put the finishing touches to my books.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seanstevens View Post
    ...the finishing touches to my books.
    Books ... are you writing more than one?

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergal View Post
    Books ... are you writing more than one?
    That is the plan. I have been thinking about it for a long time and have made a fair few notes. It is looking like it would be better to split into a few books on specific topics rather than one book encompasing all subects (Credit & Cash Management).

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Great stuff, Sean! I'm glad you liked it. Right now I only do printed book reviews at Cuckleburr. I'm planning to do e-books sometime in the future too. If I am by the time you're ready to publish, give me a shout and I'll do a review for you.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Sounds exciting Sean. Have you considered concentrating on one book and getting it published before working on the second one? Everyone works in different ways, but personally I've had times when I felt that I could have been more successful if I'd concentrated on one project, as opposed to spreading myself too thinly.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    just bought this book there: "Quest for the Simurgh". will be reading that story to my child later... thanks for the link Kay.

I think I'll get this one too One Step Forward Two Steps Back - Living with ADHD/ODD, a Mother's Perspective"...
    Last edited by MarySmith; Thu 3rd Jun 2010 at 19:09.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    You're very welcome, Mary. There's a ratings system there too where you can go back and rate the book once you've read it. It's always nice to have feedback.