Your Ad Here

Thread: Stop the spam bots

BAF Cash
    Thanks

Exclamation Stop the spam bots

This is getting a little sickening. See if you can use the reCAPTCHA method for signing up.

recaptcha.net

Otherwise we'll be over run.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,509 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestion pendelton. Unfortunately Spam is an issue here. I delete the spam posts and permanently ban the member as soon as I see them. But unfortunately there are times when I don't get online for a few hours and the spam post sits there being offensive.

Spam was previously much worse here on the forum. However, things improved when we required email verification before any new member could begin posting. But still some of them get through.

Thanks for the link. There is a captcha field on the registration form for Business Advice Forum. Would using http://recaptcha.net/ have advantages over and above what we are already using?

I'm also considering some other options such as preventing new members from posting any links until they have made say 5 posts on the forums.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    I do not seeing any bots that can get past reCAPTCHA, due to it not ever being the same and having no algorithm to use. It is bad OCR scans of books. Having Indians or some other out sourced labor sign up for the accounts will happen, so it is not a final solution. I remember seeing one of the e-currency sites using it to beef up the standard CAPTCHA. Possibly liberty reserve? I do not remember.

Making a 5 or 10 post minimum would work better, but then the out sourcing thing becomes an issue.

Both of the above, and IP blocking, is about all you can do. The first two parts make it so they have to spend money with an unknow chance of any return.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Is this for forums, websites, and blogs? If they are I am definatly intrested in it. As anyone here tried this one? Dose it work? I have a blog which always as spam comments.

I haven't even advertised the blog yet.

BAF Cash
    Thanks
    Any place you need, or can use, CAPTCHA you can use reCAPTCHA.